Walt

Default Natural Rivers (or not) - Pine, Upper manistee

A week ago two rivers in the northern lower peninusila of Michigan were
designated as Natural Rivers under the 1970 Michigan Natural Rivers
act. This action protects the scenic quality of the Pine and Upper
Manistee Rivers, preserving their natural character. So far, so good.

Now the legislature is trying to undo that designation and gut the
Natural Rivers act. Not so good.

Public hearings are tomorrow, 24 Sept 2003.

See
http://www.mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16566

--
//-Walt
//
Eric Simandl

Yeah, but most Lower Michigan rivers are subject to industrial waste or
agricultural runoff.

And that's not natural.

Walt wrote:

A week ago two rivers in the northern lower peninusila of Michigan were
designated as Natural Rivers under the 1970 Michigan Natural Rivers
act. This action protects the scenic quality of the Pine and Upper
Manistee Rivers, preserving their natural character. So far, so good.

Now the legislature is trying to undo that designation and gut the
Natural Rivers act. Not so good.

Public hearings are tomorrow, 24 Sept 2003.

See
http://www.mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16566

--
//-Walt
//
//

--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
--Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
stone

There are no natural rivers any more in Michigan. All have been altered by
man to some degree, logging, navigation, farming, industrial, etc. Why do we
insist on calling stuff by inappropriate names? Its like claiming we have
"wilderness" in Michigan. What nonsense!
"Walt" wrote in message

A week ago two rivers in the northern lower peninusila of Michigan were
designated as Natural Rivers under the 1970 Michigan Natural Rivers
act. This action protects the scenic quality of the Pine and Upper
Manistee Rivers, preserving their natural character. So far, so good.

Now the legislature is trying to undo that designation and gut the
Natural Rivers act. Not so good.

Public hearings are tomorrow, 24 Sept 2003.

See
http://www.mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=16566

--
//-Walt
//
//

Bill Tuthill

In rec.boats.paddle stone wrote:

Walt ) wrote;
A week ago two rivers in the northern lower peninusila of Michigan were
designated as Natural Rivers under the 1970 Michigan Natural Rivers
act. This action protects the scenic quality of the Pine and Upper
Manistee Rivers, preserving their natural character. So far, so good.
Now the legislature is trying to undo that designation and gut the
Natural Rivers act. Not so good. Public hearings are 24 Sept 2003.

There are no natural rivers any more in Michigan. All have been altered by
man to some degree, logging, navigation, farming, industrial, etc. Why do we
insist on calling stuff by inappropriate names? Its like claiming we have
"wilderness" in Michigan. What nonsense!

Wilderness is a state of mind, and can exist in very small patches.

Like beavers and other animals that modify rivers, man (and woman!)
are part of nature. A Wild & Scenic river, or a Natural River, is one
that hasn't (yet) been turned into a reservoir. That's all we want.
There are enough reservoirs already, at least where I live.

stone

Interesting point, but if you want natural rivers go to Alaska, not Michigan
or anywhere in the Midwest. We can not alter our environment to meet the
emotional needs of a few elitists.
"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Carter

"stone" wrote in message
Interesting point, but if you want natural rivers go to Alaska, not

Michigan
or anywhere in the Midwest. We can not alter our environment to meet the
emotional needs of a few elitists.

You need not travel so far. Just cross the border into Canada and drive to
the North Shore of Lake Superior. Lots of very good natural rivers.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Dave Moorman

In article ,
"stone" wrote:

Interesting point, but if you want natural rivers go to Alaska, not Michigan
or anywhere in the Midwest. We can not alter our environment to meet the
emotional needs of a few elitists.

Which elitists would that be?

Dave
stone

The ones that think there is wilderness in the lower 48, that push for
rewriting the National Park general management plans to limit access for the
public unless you are a backpacker, that pushed private boats out of Isle
Royale (America's only "maritime" park) so "wilderness" backpackers could
enjoy themselves without seeing a, heaven forbid "boat", that are working to
add "wilderness" to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore and Pictured
Rocks National Lakeshore, that denigrate people over animals, I can rattle
on and on, but you miscreants know who you are......that will not allow
logging but instead let our forests become tinder dry only to go up in
flames because they hate timber men, etc...... you know a good rant is good
for the soul.....
"Dave Moorman" wrote in message
In article ,
"stone" wrote:

Interesting point, but if you want natural rivers go to Alaska, not

Michigan
or anywhere in the Midwest. We can not alter our environment to meet the
emotional needs of a few elitists.

Which elitists would that be?

Dave

Charles Pezeshki

Yep, that's right on the money. Folks in the Midwest don't need solitude,
clean water or beauty. They don't need to feel a delicate wind in the
pines, while looking down a ribbon of water. They don't need to see
pintails on the water, or a heron in the rushes.

They have Walmart, stocked full of worthless crap made by slaves in a
far-away land where they don't have to bear witness to the consequences of
their actions. They have Pizza Hut, and McDonalds on every intersection,
and can fatten themselves by the day at an endless fountain of high-fructose
corn syrup-charged pop.

No, you're right-- people in the Midwest don't need wild rivers. They've
already got it all.

Chuck
http://www.wildcountry.info

in article , stone at
wrote on 9/28/03 6:34 AM:

Interesting point, but if you want natural rivers go to Alaska, not Michigan
or anywhere in the Midwest. We can not alter our environment to meet the
emotional needs of a few elitists.

stone

Wow, you are as bitter and rabid about "wilderness" and "wild rivers" as I
am...just on the other side of the stream!

But on a more conciliatory tone, if they want wild things, they need to go
where they are not try to "restore virginity" here....