Bill Tuthill

Default Natural Rivers (or not) - Pine, Upper manistee

In rec.boats.paddle stone wrote:

Walt ) wrote;
A week ago two rivers in the northern lower peninusila of Michigan were
designated as Natural Rivers under the 1970 Michigan Natural Rivers
act. This action protects the scenic quality of the Pine and Upper
Manistee Rivers, preserving their natural character. So far, so good.
Now the legislature is trying to undo that designation and gut the
Natural Rivers act. Not so good. Public hearings are 24 Sept 2003.

There are no natural rivers any more in Michigan. All have been altered by
man to some degree, logging, navigation, farming, industrial, etc. Why do we
insist on calling stuff by inappropriate names? Its like claiming we have
"wilderness" in Michigan. What nonsense!

Wilderness is a state of mind, and can exist in very small patches.

Like beavers and other animals that modify rivers, man (and woman!)
are part of nature. A Wild & Scenic river, or a Natural River, is one
that hasn't (yet) been turned into a reservoir. That's all we want.
There are enough reservoirs already, at least where I live.