Dan Dunphy

Default Upper Animas First Descent: RFI

There is a Bill Tuthill photo on page 102 of Wheat's book, Portaging
in the Black Canyon.
I've known them both since 1980. BT was our vet when we had dogs.
Dan

DanOn Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:52:44 -0700, Dan Dunphy
wrote:

No, Bill Tuthill is a Colorado Springs Vetinarian. I have met two
others, Bill's dad, and the father of a lady who lived down the
street, 20 years ago. They were both from new England, and knew each
other in colledge.
I don't know our California Bill Tuthill, other than his posts here.
Dan

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:13:42 +0100, Wilko wrote:

(Crossposted from RBP.WW)

On 6 Jan 2004 09:58:03 -0800, (Ted Compton) wrote:
Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Dan Dunphy wrote:
Fletcher Anderson refers to this run (Siverton to Rockwood), in his
book, Rivers of the Southwest. My copy is 1982.

Doug Wheat took a 10 year sabattical to research his book, released in
1983, and had run it numerous times before we built boats in Apr/May
1983. Sometime during this time, Bill Tuthill, of Colorado Springs,
climed out of the canyon with a dislocated shoulder. They had to walk
back in to get the boats and gear.

I wonder if this is the same Bill Tuthill that frequents RBP... I think
he now lives in California. He might be able to shed some light on this.

--

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Wilko

Dan Dunphy wrote:
There is a Bill Tuthill photo on page 102 of Wheat's book, Portaging
in the Black Canyon.

Hmmm, I just had a look. Although someone might be able to recognise the
model of kayak in that picture, that person standing there is virtually
imposible to recognise. It's good that he's named there though. :-)

I don't know our California Bill Tuthill, other than his posts here.

Yeah, I only noticed CA Bill's post after I had already replied to your
post. Sorry about that.

Wilko

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a@t dse d.o.t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

Dan Dunphy

A Bill Tuthill photo means he took the picture.
The boat is either a Lettman Mark 4 or 5, or a Meisle X. It may be
Doug Wheat, but I can't really tell. Doug preferred the Lettmans, many
of the others liked the Meisel. Nearly identical hull, with a
different deck. We built Mark IVs becasue that's what mold we could
borrow.
Dan

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:45:06 +0100, Wilko wrote:

Dan Dunphy wrote:
There is a Bill Tuthill photo on page 102 of Wheat's book, Portaging
in the Black Canyon.

Hmmm, I just had a look. Although someone might be able to recognise the
model of kayak in that picture, that person standing there is virtually
imposible to recognise. It's good that he's named there though. :-)

I don't know our California Bill Tuthill, other than his posts here.

Yeah, I only noticed CA Bill's post after I had already replied to your
post. Sorry about that.

Wilko

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.

Bill Tuthill

In rec.boats.paddle.whitewater Wilko wrote:

1983. Sometime during this time, Bill Tuthill, of Colorado Springs,
climed out of the canyon with a dislocated shoulder. They had to walk
back in to get the boats and gear.

I wonder if this is the same Bill Tuthill that frequents RBP... I think
he now lives in California. He might be able to shed some light on this.

No, not the same guy.
This reminds me of a Maine joke, from an old Bert & I record.

Yesterday while lobsterin' we found a dead body floating around
in the kelp. Thought it might be John, the lighthouse keeper.
So we rowed out to the lighthouse and knocked on the door.

"What can I do for you?" John answered.
"We found a dead man in the kelp, and thought it might be you."
"Was he wearin' a red and black checked wool shirt?"
"Yup."
"And blue overalls?" John asked.
"Yup."
"Did he have on high boots or low boots?"
"Low boots."
"Are you sure?" John queried.
"Come to think of it, they were high boots turned down low."
"Oh then, 'tweren't me!"