posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Pete C

Default Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:44:20 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

And fwiw, I've NEVER seen any clear bilge discharge
hose. Boat builders are very cost conscious...if there weren't a good
reason to stick with marine-grade bilge pump hose, they'd use something
else that's cheaper.

What 's special about marine-grade bilge pump hose?

And also fwiw, I wouldn't use corrugated hose for
anything on a boat, anywhere.

Why not? It's pretty crush proof and kink proof. The stuff I'm
familiar with has a fairly smooth bore.

One drawback is that it's supposed to be terminated with wire hose
clamps which may be difficult to get in stainless.

For through hulls I'd look at using some *high* quality hose from the
through hull up to where the 'goose neck' loop would be, and then use
black corrugated hose after that.

But that's what I'd do. It's your boat...your choice.

Anyone had a bilge hose or non-engine hose failure? What sort of hose
was involved?

(x-posted to rec.boats.cruising and uk.rec.boats.power)

cheers,
Pete.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Peggie Hall

Pete C wrote:

And also fwiw, I wouldn't use corrugated hose for
anything on a boat, anywhere.

Why not? It's pretty crush proof and kink proof. The stuff I'm
familiar with has a fairly smooth bore.

Because corrugations are traps that grab onto sea water minerals, bilge
"glop," waste, and anything else that isn't pure clean fresh water.

One drawback is that it's supposed to be terminated with wire hose
clamps which may be difficult to get in stainless.

That's another reason. Wire can cut into the hose too.

For through hulls I'd look at using some *high* quality hose from the
through hull up to where the 'goose neck' loop would be, and then use
black corrugated hose after that.

Anyone had a bilge hose or non-engine hose failure? What sort of hose
was involved?

Lots of people! Cockpit drain hoses, clear water hose used for toilet
intake or sink drains...and yes, bilge pump hoses. Corrugated hoses once
were common on boats, but are no longer recommended for any application,
above or below waterline.

--
Peggie
----------
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Jim Conlin

I've had a sink drain hose fail without warning. It was a cheap currugated
hose. A fair bit of Atlantic came in before we figured out what had
happened. A bad day that I don't ever want to repeat.

wrote:

[...]

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:01:07 -0500, "Jim Conlin"
wrote:

I've had a sink drain hose fail without warning. It was a cheap currugated
hose. A fair bit of Atlantic came in before we figured out what had
happened. A bad day that I don't ever want to repeat.

I see. Did it split on a bend, at the clamp, or just in a straight
run? Was it this sort of hose? :

http://www.pacificecho.com/120.htm

cheers,
Pete.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Jim Conlin

The hose was pretty similar to that stuff. Some hot water was put down a
galley sink drain and water started coming out of the cabinet under the
sink. It took a while to realize that it was seawater and that therefore
there was a lot more available than the gallon that had gone down the drain.
As I said, a bad day. I got religion.

wrote:

I've had a sink drain hose fail without warning. It was a cheap

currugated
hose. A fair bit of Atlantic came in before we figured out what had
happened. A bad day that I don't ever want to repeat.

I see. Did it split on a bend, at the clamp, or just in a straight
run? Was it this sort of hose? :

http://www.pacificecho.com/120.htm

cheers,
Pete.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Roger Long

"Peggie Hall" wrote

intake or sink drains...and yes, bilge pump hoses. Corrugated hoses
once were common on boats, but are no longer recommended for any
application, above or below waterline.

Peggie,

Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

It's almost perfectly smooth on the inside and quite a dense looking
plastic. The standard hose clamps seemed to make a good seal. My
pumps discharge above the waterline so there is no standing water in
the hose. I usually pump the bilge with the hand pump before the
level gets high enough for these pumps to run. It's the only 1 1/8"
stuff I could get at the time.

Do you think I should replace these hoses?

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

I can't tell from the photo, Roger, whether it's corrugated or only
reinforced. If it's rated for the application--not only for below
waterline, but for whatever goes through it and the temperature of
it--it's ok. If it's not, I'd replace it.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Skip Gundlach

Since I started the deviation from the original, and Peggie has raised what
I consider valid points about below-grade stuff...

My applications are for suction or lift only. That is, if it's below
waterline, and attached to a manual bilge pump way above the waterline, the
only time it will be used is to suck up from the bilge. If it's attached to
a submerged bilge pump, the only time it will have water in it is when the
bilge pump is pushing it out, to a vented loop drain.

If those are the uses, are there any caveats? I'm interested in increasing
flow/decreasing resistance by not having that wire-wrap-without-a-slit or
small-shop-vac-suckerhose equivalent usual bilge hose with the cuffs every
foot or so for my discharge. And, my manuals are Whale Gusher 10s, with big
hoses (what's currently there looks about like central vacuum cleaner hose,
but it's not smooth on the inside and quite thinwalled).

And, just to check, I thought that all below-waterline hoses (with static
pressure, of course), for any application, were supposed to be wire
reinforced. Was that urban legend foisted on me by my diesel mech and
surveyor, or true?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
om...
Roger Long wrote:
Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

I can't tell from the photo, Roger, whether it's corrugated or only
reinforced. If it's rated for the application--not only for below
waterline, but for whatever goes through it and the temperature of
it--it's ok. If it's not, I'd replace it.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Roger Long

It's reinforced. The inside is like regular hose with only the
slightest irregularity from the outer reinforcing ribs slightly
distorting the plastic as it set. Absent the reinforcing ribs,
it's about as thick as clear plastic hose but appears to be a tougher
material. No wire in it but it would take quite a suction with the
ribs.

I bought this stuff at Hamilton Marine and the box said bilge pump
hose. (They also had the cheap, truly corrugated stuff.) I think
it's OK.

BTW wire can cause it's own problems. When we first tried to start
the engine of our new boat, the cooling system was sucking air. We
spent hours trying to track it down. It finally turned out to be the
connection at the strainer which was very hard to see. Even though
the wire in the hose was stainless, the end had touched the bronze
strainer body and the electrolysis had degraded the rubber.
Fortunately, the seller was paying but that cost him about $250.
Here's a photo:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Hose.jpg

No choice but to have wire when there is going to be any significant
suction but this is something to watch for when you are cutting the
wire while trimming hoses. Don't let the end of the wire stick out
where it can contact other metal.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long wrote:
Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

I can't tell from the photo, Roger, whether it's corrugated or only
reinforced. If it's rated for the application--not only for below
waterline, but for whatever goes through it and the temperature of
it--it's ok. If it's not, I'd replace it.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems
and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books...ku=90&cat=1304

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Pete C

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:27:30 -0500, "Jim Conlin"
wrote:

The hose was pretty similar to that stuff. Some hot water was put down a
galley sink drain and water started coming out of the cabinet under the
sink. It took a while to realize that it was seawater and that therefore
there was a lot more available than the gallon that had gone down the drain.
As I said, a bad day. I got religion.

$$$$ hose religion I expect...

cheers,
Pete.

Sea Ray Sundancer Bilge Question Marty Schulze General 6 June 24th 11 09:00 PM
Bilge Pump Upgrade Marc Boat Building 21 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade Pete C Cruising 12 March 10th 06 02:59 AM
Adding an electrical bilge pump [email protected] Cruising 15 February 4th 06 08:03 PM
SCR controlled bilge pump Offbreed Electronics 16 January 11th 06 12:53 AM