posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Pete C

Default Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:44:20 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

And fwiw, I've NEVER seen any clear bilge discharge
hose. Boat builders are very cost conscious...if there weren't a good
reason to stick with marine-grade bilge pump hose, they'd use something
else that's cheaper.

What 's special about marine-grade bilge pump hose?

And also fwiw, I wouldn't use corrugated hose for
anything on a boat, anywhere.

Why not? It's pretty crush proof and kink proof. The stuff I'm
familiar with has a fairly smooth bore.

One drawback is that it's supposed to be terminated with wire hose
clamps which may be difficult to get in stainless.

For through hulls I'd look at using some *high* quality hose from the
through hull up to where the 'goose neck' loop would be, and then use
black corrugated hose after that.

But that's what I'd do. It's your boat...your choice.

Anyone had a bilge hose or non-engine hose failure? What sort of hose
was involved?

(x-posted to rec.boats.cruising and uk.rec.boats.power)

cheers,
Pete.