posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Roger Long

Default Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade

It's reinforced. The inside is like regular hose with only the
slightest irregularity from the outer reinforcing ribs slightly
distorting the plastic as it set. Absent the reinforcing ribs,
it's about as thick as clear plastic hose but appears to be a tougher
material. No wire in it but it would take quite a suction with the
ribs.

I bought this stuff at Hamilton Marine and the box said bilge pump
hose. (They also had the cheap, truly corrugated stuff.) I think
it's OK.

BTW wire can cause it's own problems. When we first tried to start
the engine of our new boat, the cooling system was sucking air. We
spent hours trying to track it down. It finally turned out to be the
connection at the strainer which was very hard to see. Even though
the wire in the hose was stainless, the end had touched the bronze
strainer body and the electrolysis had degraded the rubber.
Fortunately, the seller was paying but that cost him about $250.
Here's a photo:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Hose.jpg

No choice but to have wire when there is going to be any significant
suction but this is something to watch for when you are cutting the
wire while trimming hoses. Don't let the end of the wire stick out
where it can contact other metal.

--

Roger Long

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
om...
Roger Long wrote:
Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

I can't tell from the photo, Roger, whether it's corrugated or only
reinforced. If it's rated for the application--not only for below
waterline, but for whatever goes through it and the temperature of
it--it's ok. If it's not, I'd replace it.
--
Peggie