posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Peggie Hall

Default Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade

Pete C wrote:

And also fwiw, I wouldn't use corrugated hose for
anything on a boat, anywhere.

Why not? It's pretty crush proof and kink proof. The stuff I'm
familiar with has a fairly smooth bore.

Because corrugations are traps that grab onto sea water minerals, bilge
"glop," waste, and anything else that isn't pure clean fresh water.

One drawback is that it's supposed to be terminated with wire hose
clamps which may be difficult to get in stainless.

That's another reason. Wire can cut into the hose too.

For through hulls I'd look at using some *high* quality hose from the
through hull up to where the 'goose neck' loop would be, and then use
black corrugated hose after that.

Anyone had a bilge hose or non-engine hose failure? What sort of hose
was involved?

Lots of people! Cockpit drain hoses, clear water hose used for toilet
intake or sink drains...and yes, bilge pump hoses. Corrugated hoses once
were common on boats, but are no longer recommended for any application,
above or below waterline.

--
Peggie