posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.boats.power
Skip Gundlach

Default Clear corrugated suction hose (was) Bilge Pump Upgrade

Since I started the deviation from the original, and Peggie has raised what
I consider valid points about below-grade stuff...

My applications are for suction or lift only. That is, if it's below
waterline, and attached to a manual bilge pump way above the waterline, the
only time it will be used is to suck up from the bilge. If it's attached to
a submerged bilge pump, the only time it will have water in it is when the
bilge pump is pushing it out, to a vented loop drain.

If those are the uses, are there any caveats? I'm interested in increasing
flow/decreasing resistance by not having that wire-wrap-without-a-slit or
small-shop-vac-suckerhose equivalent usual bilge hose with the cuffs every
foot or so for my discharge. And, my manuals are Whale Gusher 10s, with big
hoses (what's currently there looks about like central vacuum cleaner hose,
but it's not smooth on the inside and quite thinwalled).

And, just to check, I thought that all below-waterline hoses (with static
pressure, of course), for any application, were supposed to be wire
reinforced. Was that urban legend foisted on me by my diesel mech and
surveyor, or true?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
om...
Roger Long wrote:
Are you talking about the kind of hose in this picture?

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bilge.htm#Sump

I can't tell from the photo, Roger, whether it's corrugated or only
reinforced. If it's rated for the application--not only for below
waterline, but for whatever goes through it and the temperature of
it--it's ok. If it's not, I'd replace it.
--
Peggie