Default HELP PLEASE - Perished Rubber.......and rubber adhesives

Anyone suggest a surface treatment that can be applied to rubber window
seals that are perishing and beginning to leak? The rubber is not exactly
perishing in the sense that it's not wrinkling and cracking, but the surface
is breaking down into a kind of black powder and the seals are not
effectively sealing rainwater out. I've tried re-sealing the windows with
silicone rubber and silicon grease applied over the old rubber, but these
don't seem to last for more than a couple of weeks before water again pours
into the wheelhouse.

I remember being told once that raw fairy liquid worked into degrading
rubber is a good way of revitalising it. The leaky valves in my Avon
inflatible dinghy have been kept working for years by using a drenching in
fairy liquid each year. I can't remeber if it had to be fairy liquid or if
any brand of concentrated washing up liquid would work.

next question - repairing Avon inflatables - what kind of adhesive should be
used to patch and repair Avon inflatables? Presumably it's an Evode type of
adhesive with waterproof qualities and requires both surfaces to be coated
and allowed to dry before making the join. Any advice on the type of
adhesive would be welcome, particularly info on lower cost alternatives as
I'm sure Avon will sell adhesives for a Kings ransom!

Any comments or advice on these appreciated....kfm

Tim Christian

k wrote in message
[...]

Window seal: replace them. It is a pain of a job, but once the rubber goes,
its the only solution. If you can't get the rubber section, email me off
group for sources.

newsgroups

Have a look in your local Chandlers where you should find a book detailing
the rubber profiles available. Then renew.
"

OK, thanks for that - I had hoped to avoid renewing/replacing the seals
simply from a cost and time point of view, but you are probably right that
short term fixes are just that. I posted this same query in another NG and
someone suggested using the sinisterly named "Creeping Crack Cure" liquid.
May give that a go before applying for another mortgage to replace the
seals.
Thanks again....keith

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Have a look in your local Chandlers where you should find a book detailing
the rubber profiles available. Then renew.
"

Edward Bray

Hi Keith,

I may be wrong, but as I understand it Creeping Crack Cure is used to fill
slight cracks in Gelcoat. I do not think it is suitable for use with rubber.

Sorry if i'm the bearer of bad news.

Eddie.

"k" wrote in message
OK, thanks for that - I had hoped to avoid renewing/replacing the seals
simply from a cost and time point of view, but you are probably right that
short term fixes are just that. I posted this same query in another NG and
someone suggested using the sinisterly named "Creeping Crack Cure" liquid.
May give that a go before applying for another mortgage to replace the
seals.
Thanks again....keith

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Have a look in your local Chandlers where you should find a book

detailing
the rubber profiles available. Then renew.
"

Thanks Eddie..... I was also a bit sceptical about this substance, but as
it's under a fiver, I bought a tube anyway. The packaging does claim it can
be used for sealing leaky windows amongst many other uses, so I'll give it a
go before taking the more costly and drastic route of window seal
replacement.

Thanks for your input though - best regards....Keith

"k" wrote in message
OK, thanks for that - I had hoped to avoid renewing/replacing the seals
simply from a cost and time point of view, but you are probably right

that
short term fixes are just that. I posted this same query in another NG

and
someone suggested using the sinisterly named "Creeping Crack Cure"

liquid.
May give that a go before applying for another mortgage to replace the
seals.
Thanks again....keith

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Have a look in your local Chandlers where you should find a book

detailing
the rubber profiles available. Then renew.
"

PETER KEATING

Creaping crack cure is ideal for rubber as it's basically liquid latex, more
or less Copydex adhesive. As far as the Dinghy is concerned you have to use
the correct adhesive, here is a link to a supplier,Polymarine Ltd at :-
www.polymarine .co.uk They do everything for dinghies even down to the
material to make your own. Catalogue is very good. HTH Peter

"k" wrote in message
OK, thanks for that - I had hoped to avoid renewing/replacing the

seals
simply from a cost and time point of view, but you are probably right

that
short term fixes are just that. I posted this same query in another NG

and
someone suggested using the sinisterly named "Creeping Crack Cure"

liquid.
May give that a go before applying for another mortgage to replace the
seals.
Thanks again....keith

"newsgroups" wrote in message
Have a look in your local Chandlers where you should find a book

detailing
the rubber profiles available. Then renew.
"

Waterproof Material or Rubber under a hinge?? Gary Warner General 12 January 11th 05 05:40 AM
vinyl and rubber cleaner JJ General 2 October 2nd 03 02:05 AM
vinyl and rubber cleaner Jack Cruising 3 September 30th 03 01:30 PM
Gunwale rubber fitting bruce Boat Building 0 September 19th 03 12:33 AM