Jack

Default vinyl and rubber cleaner

I have a brown backed on dirt on my life lines and rubber rub rail. I have
always hosed off the boat after every sail and this stuff just won't come
off. Whats the best cleaner to remove this sutbern crap from my vinyl and
rubber parts of the boat.

Thanks in advance

JJ

Keith

Starbrite has a power cord cleaner/restorer that would probably work well.
Use it with a Scotchbrite pad. Another thing I've found that works great is
Barkeeper's Friend scrubbing powder with Simple Green. Spray the SG on,
sprinkle the BF on a cloth and scrub away. Works wonders for anything white,
including rubber and vinyl.

"Jack" wrote in message
I have a brown backed on dirt on my life lines and rubber rub rail. I

have
always hosed off the boat after every sail and this stuff just won't come
off. Whats the best cleaner to remove this sutbern crap from my vinyl and
rubber parts of the boat.

Thanks in advance

JJ

Donny

Starbrite has a power cord cleaner/restorer that would probably work well.
Use it with a Scotchbrite pad. Another thing I've found that works great is
Barkeeper's Friend scrubbing powder with Simple Green. Spray the SG on,
sprinkle the BF on a cloth and scrub away. Works wonders for anything white,
including rubber and vinyl.

I can second about the Barkeepers Friend and Simple green, we used
that to restore our boat seats. A little more advice about vinyl
though, don't use Armor All to protect it. I did some Googling a while
ago, and found a few posts to that end. Something about it removes
some of the flexibility from the vinyl permanently. We use, and love,
3M's Marine Vinyl Protector, and it works great.

For a gentle cleaning, try McGuire's Vinyl Restorer, we did on our
vinyl cabin roof, and it looks brand new. (Don't believe me, go to my
site below in my signature, click on the "5-4-3-2-1...Launch Day!",
album, scroll down the left side pictures until you find the one
titled, "A view through the windshield.", and see and read for
yourself.)

For cleaning rubber that has really bad stains, I use an automotive
cleaner called, ""Westley's Bleche-Wite Whitewall/Blackwall Tire
Cleaner". It's for tires, so it's almost too harsh for a boat, so be
careful, and don't get any overspray or spillage on anything else. If
your lifelines are removable without too much trouble, and are REALLY
grungy, you might try soaking them. I used this stuff on an old white
rubber fender, after trying the above Simple Green/Barkeepers Friend,
and it worked better. Very harsh, though, so do a little and rinse.

Hope I helped.
Donny

1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
Phil

Black streak remover and a scotch brite pad works on quite a bit of stains
and grime. I just went over the topsides on my trawler and I can't believe
it was that white! Also takes the diesel soot stains off the transom.
The cheap stuff you can buy in the RV dept at walmart for $4.99 works as
good as the $20 boat store stuff.
Phil