elyob

Default Newbie to paddling

I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the Thames and
camp out etc etc.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for canoe
or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a weeks
worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc ..

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting one, or
finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

What sort of kayak/canoe should I look at for this type of beginners tour?
I've used one previously that was in a friends garden, but it got really
uncomfortable on my back from leaning back on the entrance edge. Is this
because it may have been too small for me? I'm 6ft, 16st.

What sort of distance would you expect to cover per day?

Thanks for any advice

Nick

Bill Oldroyd

elyob wrote:
I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the Thames and
camp out etc etc.

For a start I would try canoeing down the Thames it's a lot easier.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for canoe
or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a weeks
worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc ..

I would go for a kayak, it's also easier.

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting one, or
finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

Hide it ina neighbour's garden.

What sort of kayak/canoe should I look at for this type of beginners tour?
I've used one previously that was in a friends garden, but it got really
uncomfortable on my back from leaning back on the entrance edge. Is this
because it may have been too small for me? I'm 6ft, 16st.

No, it's probably because you have the wrong paddling technique and lack
of stamina so you are lying back in your seat when paddling. Sit up when
paddling. It will probably be difficult to start with, but by the time
you have paddled down the Thames, you will not think twice about it.

Buy a long, thin canoe that initially feels a bit unstable.

What sort of distance would you expect to cover per day?

How many pubs do you intend to call at :-). Depends on how much sight
seeing you want to do. 20 miles a day might be a reasonable target -
This probably equates to about 5 or 6 hours a day paddling. In order to
pass through the locks quickly I recommend going to the front of the
queue of boats and fitting into the odd space left by the cruisers etc..
Hold on to a chain. Oh yes, nearly forgot, you need a license.

Thanks for any advice

Have fun.

Bill
Eiron

elyob wrote:

[...]

Read "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome and copy the journey.
An open canoe would be good for camping, especially if you have a
friend. Even without, you should cover twenty miles in a day as
a beginner.

--
Eiron.
David Kemper

"elyob" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Apologies for sending email instead of posting. Finger trouble again
don't you know?

1st:
Down stream is always easier to paddle than up stream. Go with the flow.
Long skinny boats are quicker and easier to paddle, but only if you can
stay upright in them. If you tend to fall out regularly they are slower
than wide stable boats.
Fibre glass is lighter to carry than plastic (you need to carry your
boat around the locks), and usually smoother so slips through the water
easier. It is also easier to damage through impacts so is not so good
for rough water. Most canoe clubs will store your canoe for you. Keep
your kit to a minimum. It slows you down and you have to cart it around
the locks. Heavy kit will tire you out. If you can organise a support
crew to carry your overnight gear, you can meet them at preplanned
locations and you can then simply carry enough supplies to last you for
your days paddling. Drinks are the most important cargo. hiccup

2nd:
The Devises to Westminster Canoe Race takes place over Easter if you
want to see how other people do it.

3rd:
Don't forget about the weirs. Never forget about the weirs!
Dr Bennett will be along in a moment to tell you all about the weirs.
If he can be found that is, as he isn't responding much at the moment.
If he doesn't show up, try googling for Thames weirs on this ng, or the
rowing newsgroup.
Some of us enjoy a good row.
You might find the archives interesting if you ignore the mud slinging.
Dr. Bennett and mudslinging are never very far apart.
Shame really as he is such a helpful and knowledgeable old faXXXX chap.
;-)

David Kemper
Not a fan of slow coaches.

elyob

"David Kemper" wrote in message

Apologies for sending email instead of posting. Finger trouble again
don't you know?

No worries, it's a hardly checked gmail account. I look in it once a month
or so.

[...]

All seems reasonable advice. The reason I'll be going up the Thames, is that
I'll be coming back down again. However if I can blag a car to get me to the
start then I'll do something more like the Devizes - Westminster but over a
few days. (Once I've got my skills up. I'm pretty fit as a gym user and
heavy cyclist, but suspect my shoulders will ache the first few months!)

2nd:
The Devises to Westminster Canoe Race takes place over Easter if you
want to see how other people do it.

I see the record was something like 15 hours, and am wondering when they are
likely to come through the Kingston area. I'm just looking at the
dwrace.org.uk site and see there is also a 4 day race for senior singles.
That looks like something I could aim to do next year!
They don't mention the sorts of numbers involved, but I guess this is a big
event on the calendar. Certainly looks like fun! I'm surprised it's not
later in the year to get more reliable weather.

3rd:
Don't forget about the weirs. Never forget about the weirs!
Dr Bennett will be along in a moment to tell you all about the weirs.
If he can be found that is, as he isn't responding much at the moment.
If he doesn't show up, try googling for Thames weirs on this ng, or the
rowing newsgroup.
Some of us enjoy a good row.
You might find the archives interesting if you ignore the mud slinging.
Dr. Bennett and mudslinging are never very far apart.
Shame really as he is such a helpful and knowledgeable old faXXXX chap.
;-)

I'll certainly read up about the weirs! As mentioned, I'm in the Kingston
area, and will get training on starting. I'm sure they'll mention these
things, but I'll ask too!

Thanks to all so far, am reading all the replies avidly.

elyob

"Eiron" wrote in message
elyob wrote:

I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the Thames
and camp out etc etc.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for
canoe or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a
weeks worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc
..

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting one,
or finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

What sort of kayak/canoe should I look at for this type of beginners
tour? I've used one previously that was in a friends garden, but it got
really uncomfortable on my back from leaning back on the entrance edge.
Is this because it may have been too small for me? I'm 6ft, 16st.

What sort of distance would you expect to cover per day?

Thanks for any advice

Read "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome and copy the journey.
An open canoe would be good for camping, especially if you have a
friend. Even without, you should cover twenty miles in a day as
a beginner.

Thanks, got a copy off the internet. Will read soon!

elyob

"Bill Oldroyd" wrote in message
elyob wrote:
I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the Thames
and camp out etc etc.

For a start I would try canoeing down the Thames it's a lot easier.

I'm going to join a local club and then meet people who can give advice and
find people who don't mind me tagging along. I don't have a car at the
moment, so will be looking at same start/finish points for practice.
Hopefully will find others who can help out for bigger trips.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for
canoe or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a
weeks worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc
..

I would go for a kayak, it's also easier.

Okay! Sounds good! It also has a place to stash the beer?

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting one,
or finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

Hide it ina neighbour's garden.

I think that's probably the best advice. How much do Kayaks cost, and where
can I read more about new and secondhand ones?

[...]

I did pop through a locks at Shepperton when I borrowed one for an hour or
two last year. I held on to the chains as you say.

Thanks for any advice

Have fun.

Bill

I will. I think I'll be out this weekend

David Kemper

"elyob" wrote in message

"Bill Oldroyd" wrote in message
How many pubs do you intend to call at :-). Depends on how much

sight
seeing you want to do. 20 miles a day might be a reasonable target -

This
probably equates to about 5 or 6 hours a day paddling. In order to

pass
through the locks quickly I recommend going to the front of the

queue of
boats and fitting into the odd space left by the cruisers etc.. Hold

on to
a chain. Oh yes, nearly forgot, you need a license.

I did pop through a locks at Shepperton when I borrowed one for an

hour or
two last year. I held on to the chains as you say.

You used the locks like any other boat would? I didn't know this was
permitted.
I've only ever been involved with racing on the Thames and the locks are
always portaged. The locks are provided with paths which are signposted
for portaging craft. On British Waterways your canal licence prohibits
the use of locks although I believe you can purchase a more expensive
version which does allow use of locks. I don't remember seeing any
paddler actually using locks on the canal. IMHO it is far easier and
vastly quicker to get out and have a little walk around the lock.

David Kemper
Not a fan of hanging around in chains.

elyob

"elyob" wrote in message

[...]

I dunno, I just borrowed a canoe out of a friends back garden and took a
spin. Thought I'd give it a go, however other paddlers got out and carried.
Yes, vastly quicker to do this, but I thought I wanted to do it just once.

MatSav

"elyob" wrote in message

The Devises to Westminster Canoe Race takes place over Easter if you
want to see how other people do it.

I see the record was something like 15 hours, and am wondering when they

are
likely to come through the Kingston area.

The Juniors race uses Thames Young Mariners (TYM) at Ham Fields as an
overnight stop. In fact, TYM may be your best local option for advice:
http://freespace.virgin.net/tym.tym/

--
MatSav