Eiron

elyob wrote:

I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the Thames and
camp out etc etc.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for canoe
or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a weeks
worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc ..

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting one, or
finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

What sort of kayak/canoe should I look at for this type of beginners tour?
I've used one previously that was in a friends garden, but it got really
uncomfortable on my back from leaning back on the entrance edge. Is this
because it may have been too small for me? I'm 6ft, 16st.

What sort of distance would you expect to cover per day?

Thanks for any advice

Read "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome and copy the journey.
An open canoe would be good for camping, especially if you have a
friend. Even without, you should cover twenty miles in a day as
a beginner.

--
Eiron.