elyob

"David Kemper" wrote in message

Apologies for sending email instead of posting. Finger trouble again
don't you know?

No worries, it's a hardly checked gmail account. I look in it once a month
or so.

1st:
Down stream is always easier to paddle than up stream. Go with the flow.
Long skinny boats are quicker and easier to paddle, but only if you can
stay upright in them. If you tend to fall out regularly they are slower
than wide stable boats.
Fibre glass is lighter to carry than plastic (you need to carry your
boat around the locks), and usually smoother so slips through the water
easier. It is also easier to damage through impacts so is not so good
for rough water. Most canoe clubs will store your canoe for you. Keep
your kit to a minimum. It slows you down and you have to cart it around
the locks. Heavy kit will tire you out. If you can organise a support
crew to carry your overnight gear, you can meet them at preplanned
locations and you can then simply carry enough supplies to last you for
your days paddling. Drinks are the most important cargo. hiccup

All seems reasonable advice. The reason I'll be going up the Thames, is that
I'll be coming back down again. However if I can blag a car to get me to the
start then I'll do something more like the Devizes - Westminster but over a
few days. (Once I've got my skills up. I'm pretty fit as a gym user and
heavy cyclist, but suspect my shoulders will ache the first few months!)

2nd:
The Devises to Westminster Canoe Race takes place over Easter if you
want to see how other people do it.

I see the record was something like 15 hours, and am wondering when they are
likely to come through the Kingston area. I'm just looking at the
dwrace.org.uk site and see there is also a 4 day race for senior singles.
That looks like something I could aim to do next year!
They don't mention the sorts of numbers involved, but I guess this is a big
event on the calendar. Certainly looks like fun! I'm surprised it's not
later in the year to get more reliable weather.

3rd:
Don't forget about the weirs. Never forget about the weirs!
Dr Bennett will be along in a moment to tell you all about the weirs.
If he can be found that is, as he isn't responding much at the moment.
If he doesn't show up, try googling for Thames weirs on this ng, or the
rowing newsgroup.
Some of us enjoy a good row.
You might find the archives interesting if you ignore the mud slinging.
Dr. Bennett and mudslinging are never very far apart.
Shame really as he is such a helpful and knowledgeable old faXXXX chap.
;-)

I'll certainly read up about the weirs! As mentioned, I'm in the Kingston
area, and will get training on starting. I'm sure they'll mention these
things, but I'll ask too!

Thanks to all so far, am reading all the replies avidly.