David Kemper

"elyob" wrote in message
. ..
I've got a little idea brewing where I take a canoe/kayak up the

Thames and
camp out etc etc.

That's as far as I've got. I investigated a school recently and may

start
training on their equipment soon. However, am unsure whether to go for

canoe
or kayak. I won't be carrying tons of stuff, but will still have a

weeks
worth or so. Maybe as much as a tent, sleeping bag and clothes etc ..

Also, I see some fibre glass canoes going pretty cheaply, but haven't

got
anywhere to store one at the moment. So, should I consider renting

one, or
finding a neighbour with a garden I can hide it in when not in use?

What sort of kayak/canoe should I look at for this type of beginners

tour?
I've used one previously that was in a friends garden, but it got

really
uncomfortable on my back from leaning back on the entrance edge. Is

this
because it may have been too small for me? I'm 6ft, 16st.

What sort of distance would you expect to cover per day?

Thanks for any advice

Nick

Apologies for sending email instead of posting. Finger trouble again
don't you know?

1st:
Down stream is always easier to paddle than up stream. Go with the flow.
Long skinny boats are quicker and easier to paddle, but only if you can
stay upright in them. If you tend to fall out regularly they are slower
than wide stable boats.
Fibre glass is lighter to carry than plastic (you need to carry your
boat around the locks), and usually smoother so slips through the water
easier. It is also easier to damage through impacts so is not so good
for rough water. Most canoe clubs will store your canoe for you. Keep
your kit to a minimum. It slows you down and you have to cart it around
the locks. Heavy kit will tire you out. If you can organise a support
crew to carry your overnight gear, you can meet them at preplanned
locations and you can then simply carry enough supplies to last you for
your days paddling. Drinks are the most important cargo. hiccup

2nd:
The Devises to Westminster Canoe Race takes place over Easter if you
want to see how other people do it.

3rd:
Don't forget about the weirs. Never forget about the weirs!
Dr Bennett will be along in a moment to tell you all about the weirs.
If he can be found that is, as he isn't responding much at the moment.
If he doesn't show up, try googling for Thames weirs on this ng, or the
rowing newsgroup.
Some of us enjoy a good row.
You might find the archives interesting if you ignore the mud slinging.
Dr. Bennett and mudslinging are never very far apart.
Shame really as he is such a helpful and knowledgeable old faXXXX chap.
;-)

David Kemper
Not a fan of slow coaches.