elyob

"David Kemper" wrote in message

"elyob" wrote in message

"Bill Oldroyd" wrote in message
How many pubs do you intend to call at :-). Depends on how much

sight
seeing you want to do. 20 miles a day might be a reasonable target -

This
probably equates to about 5 or 6 hours a day paddling. In order to

pass
through the locks quickly I recommend going to the front of the

queue of
boats and fitting into the odd space left by the cruisers etc.. Hold

on to
a chain. Oh yes, nearly forgot, you need a license.

I did pop through a locks at Shepperton when I borrowed one for an

hour or
two last year. I held on to the chains as you say.

You used the locks like any other boat would? I didn't know this was
permitted.
I've only ever been involved with racing on the Thames and the locks are
always portaged. The locks are provided with paths which are signposted
for portaging craft. On British Waterways your canal licence prohibits
the use of locks although I believe you can purchase a more expensive
version which does allow use of locks. I don't remember seeing any
paddler actually using locks on the canal. IMHO it is far easier and
vastly quicker to get out and have a little walk around the lock.

I dunno, I just borrowed a canoe out of a friends back garden and took a
spin. Thought I'd give it a go, however other paddlers got out and carried.
Yes, vastly quicker to do this, but I thought I wanted to do it just once.