Tim Smith

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

Hi,

I'm 64 years old, and started a serious (i.e. lifetime, however much
that will be :-) fitness program two months ago. I am riding my bike 6
days a week, walking as much as I can, and have started using light
weights to get some upper body strength. I thought about joining a
fitness center, but I hate gyms, always have.

I am lucky enough to live in a community that has a number of
interconnected salt-water sloughs (or lagoons), and our garage is only
about 150 yards from one of them. Calm water, but deep enough for the
14-16 foot centerboard sailboats that you occasionally see out there.

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Anyone have any suggestions about a boat light enough to carry the 150
yards, but ample and stable enough for someone like me? I live in
Northern California, in the Bay Area. Any good shops in this area
(there are several listed on google and in the local YP, but I need
one that isn't dedicated to the true kayak people)? California Canoe
and Kayak over in Oakland looks promising, and I am thinking of going
over there next week, but I'd like to get whatever advice I can here
first, so I know what questions to ask.

Thanks a lot!

Gary S.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:58:22 -0700, Tim Smith
wrote:

I'm 64 years old, and started a serious (i.e. lifetime, however much
that will be :-) fitness program two months ago. I am riding my bike 6
days a week, walking as much as I can, and have started using light
weights to get some upper body strength. I thought about joining a
fitness center, but I hate gyms, always have.

One would assume that your physician is involved in planning this
fitness program.

[...]

Two thoughts:

Consider a "sit on top" style boat, which would simplify entrance and
exit. Not an ideal choice in rough water, but it would seem your
neighborhood waterways are never going to have rough water. Once you
are in/on the boat, all paddling techniques are identical to what you
would do with the other type of boat, excepting rolls.

Also, there are strap-on wheel thingies which would allow you to wheel
the boat to the edge of the water, be removed and stowed, and allow
you to paddle without actually carrying the boat. Paddling shops carry
these in quite a variety, as many people end up parking a distance
from the water.

REI is another source for boats and gear.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Don Freeman

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

I am lucky enough to live in a community that has a number of
interconnected salt-water sloughs (or lagoons), and our garage is only
about 150 yards from one of them. Calm water, but deep enough for the
14-16 foot centerboard sailboats that you occasionally see out there.

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

There are sea kayaks with larger cockpits if that is the way you want to go,
but the sit on top or the open cockpit recreationals may be what you would
prefer.

There are kayak carts that you can use to transport your boat that actually
break down very quickly for storage in your boat.

CC&K has a demo program where you can pay an amount (I think it is around
$200) that lets you rent any number of kayaks to try out over a period of 90
days. Then when you decide they apply that amount towards the purchase
price, if you decide not to buy they just consider the 200 is for rental
fees for the boats you tried out. They are also very good at getting you
set up with the right kayak for your purposes without any heavy
salesmanship.

Sounds like you are based at either the San Mateo or Foster City lagoons so
here are a couple of other options for you:

The boat house at Aquatic Park at the SM lagoon rents recreation kayaks that
might give you an idea of what you want.

or

If you can wait until Sept 25-26, at Coyote Point in San Mateo there is a
huge paddlesports demo day where you can try out all sorts for free.

PMH

Tim Smith wrote:

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

I'd suggest a canoe, but the kevlar models which are usually quite light
are also designed for speed and therefore may not be stable enough for a
beginning paddler - particularly where getting the weight down is one
objective.

The Old Town Camper@59# and 16' is fairly light for its capacity (900#)
& should portage the 150 yds. easily enough yet it ought to be stable
enough for beginners; should be plenty of boat for one or two. The
Pathfinder @ 14'10" & 57# is a slightly smaller version of the same hull
(820# capacity) and would also meet your needs. The Discovery 119 @
11'9" & 475# capacity but weighing a scant 43# would be ideal for a
single person w/ a small amount of gear.

Although kayaks are all the rage these days, consider that the basic
canoe form is old from time out of mind yet remains one of the ideal -
some would say THE ideal - form of personal water transportation.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide) aka The Ent

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.

Alan Smith

The best suggestion has already been offered on this thread ... rent and
try some to see which one (or ones) best suit your needs. I'd recommend,
however, that you don't waste your money on one of the smaller recreational
kayaks similar to Perception's "Swifty". Not that there's anything wrong
with kayaks like these - and they do serve a function - but, based on my
own experience, you grow out of them very quickly and want something bigger
and better. I started with a Swifty, moved to a Carolina and finally (or
presently) to a Cape Horn which, for the time being at least, I'm delighted
with. (Made a 13-14 mile run t'other day out in the Long Island Sound.)

As for age, size, etc., don't let these factors discourage you. I'm 75
years old, overweight (190lbs on a 5'7" frame) and, with the exception of my
paddling, could easily get a berth on the Olympic Sloth Squad.

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Fred Klingener

"PMH" wrote in message ...

Tim Smith wrote:

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Although kayaks are all the rage these days, consider that the basic
canoe form is old from time out of mind yet remains one of the ideal -
some would say THE ideal - form of personal water transportation.

My heart is with Pete 100% on this, but the fact is that there's a lot to
learn paddling a canoe solo, and a lot of it has to be learned all at once
at the beginning. Too, some maneuvers (even some you'll encounter in
fla****er) use muscles that modern man uses for nothing else. (Ever wonder
what that useless rib-meat is for? Cross draws.) If you're deconditioned,
you're in line for a few bad mornings. Your response depends on whether or
not you buy into the "No pain, no gain" business.

I might go with a sit-on-top. Stable, easy to propel and control, trivial
self-rescue, not hard to sell when you're ready.

But you really should be working toward the supreme expression of the human
spirit on the water, the solo canoe.

Hth,
Fred Klingener

Tim Smith

"Fred Klingener" wrote:

"PMH" wrote in message ...

Tim Smith wrote:

[...]

I used to canoe a fair amount when I was a teenager (many years ago)
on the rivers and lakes in upstate New York. Don't know if that's like
riding a bicycle, which you are not supposed to forget, but actually
while you might always remember how to balance a bike, your overall
riding skills decline when not used. Probably the same with canoes.

For some reason, canoes seem to be a lot less popular out here on the
west coast than in the east or midwest of the USA. Don't know why.
Tradition?

I might go with a sit-on-top. Stable, easy to propel and control, trivial
self-rescue, not hard to sell when you're ready.

Probably what I'll do. But I'm just starting to shop around.

But you really should be working toward the supreme expression of the human
spirit on the water, the solo canoe.

:-) My thanks to you and all the others who've responded. I've gotten
a lot of good advice from this group.