James H. Williams PE

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

Try a canoe with spray cover, a nice beamy one with outriggers can be had
for a rwasnabel price from most outfitters.

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm 64 years old, and started a serious (i.e. lifetime, however much
that will be :-) fitness program two months ago. I am riding my bike 6
days a week, walking as much as I can, and have started using light
weights to get some upper body strength. I thought about joining a
fitness center, but I hate gyms, always have.

I am lucky enough to live in a community that has a number of
interconnected salt-water sloughs (or lagoons), and our garage is only
about 150 yards from one of them. Calm water, but deep enough for the
14-16 foot centerboard sailboats that you occasionally see out there.

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Anyone have any suggestions about a boat light enough to carry the 150
yards, but ample and stable enough for someone like me? I live in
Northern California, in the Bay Area. Any good shops in this area
(there are several listed on google and in the local YP, but I need
one that isn't dedicated to the true kayak people)? California Canoe
and Kayak over in Oakland looks promising, and I am thinking of going
over there next week, but I'd like to get whatever advice I can here
first, so I know what questions to ask.

Thanks a lot!