Alan Smith

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

The best suggestion has already been offered on this thread ... rent and
try some to see which one (or ones) best suit your needs. I'd recommend,
however, that you don't waste your money on one of the smaller recreational
kayaks similar to Perception's "Swifty". Not that there's anything wrong
with kayaks like these - and they do serve a function - but, based on my
own experience, you grow out of them very quickly and want something bigger
and better. I started with a Swifty, moved to a Carolina and finally (or
presently) to a Cape Horn which, for the time being at least, I'm delighted
with. (Made a 13-14 mile run t'other day out in the Long Island Sound.)

As for age, size, etc., don't let these factors discourage you. I'm 75
years old, overweight (190lbs on a 5'7" frame) and, with the exception of my
paddling, could easily get a berth on the Olympic Sloth Squad.

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm 64 years old, and started a serious (i.e. lifetime, however much
that will be :-) fitness program two months ago. I am riding my bike 6
days a week, walking as much as I can, and have started using light
weights to get some upper body strength. I thought about joining a
fitness center, but I hate gyms, always have.

I am lucky enough to live in a community that has a number of
interconnected salt-water sloughs (or lagoons), and our garage is only
about 150 yards from one of them. Calm water, but deep enough for the
14-16 foot centerboard sailboats that you occasionally see out there.

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Anyone have any suggestions about a boat light enough to carry the 150
yards, but ample and stable enough for someone like me? I live in
Northern California, in the Bay Area. Any good shops in this area
(there are several listed on google and in the local YP, but I need
one that isn't dedicated to the true kayak people)? California Canoe
and Kayak over in Oakland looks promising, and I am thinking of going
over there next week, but I'd like to get whatever advice I can here
first, so I know what questions to ask.

Thanks a lot!