PMH

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

Tim Smith wrote:

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

I'd suggest a canoe, but the kevlar models which are usually quite light
are also designed for speed and therefore may not be stable enough for a
beginning paddler - particularly where getting the weight down is one
objective.

The Old Town Camper@59# and 16' is fairly light for its capacity (900#)
& should portage the 150 yds. easily enough yet it ought to be stable
enough for beginners; should be plenty of boat for one or two. The
Pathfinder @ 14'10" & 57# is a slightly smaller version of the same hull
(820# capacity) and would also meet your needs. The Discovery 119 @
11'9" & 475# capacity but weighing a scant 43# would be ideal for a
single person w/ a small amount of gear.

Although kayaks are all the rage these days, consider that the basic
canoe form is old from time out of mind yet remains one of the ideal -
some would say THE ideal - form of personal water transportation.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Me. Guide) aka The Ent

--
Either everyone has rights or some have privileges.
It's really that simple.