Tim Smith

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

"Fred Klingener" wrote:

"PMH" wrote in message ...

Tim Smith wrote:

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Although kayaks are all the rage these days, consider that the basic
canoe form is old from time out of mind yet remains one of the ideal -
some would say THE ideal - form of personal water transportation.

My heart is with Pete 100% on this, but the fact is that there's a lot to
learn paddling a canoe solo, and a lot of it has to be learned all at once
at the beginning. Too, some maneuvers (even some you'll encounter in
fla****er) use muscles that modern man uses for nothing else. (Ever wonder
what that useless rib-meat is for? Cross draws.) If you're deconditioned,
you're in line for a few bad mornings. Your response depends on whether or
not you buy into the "No pain, no gain" business.

I used to canoe a fair amount when I was a teenager (many years ago)
on the rivers and lakes in upstate New York. Don't know if that's like
riding a bicycle, which you are not supposed to forget, but actually
while you might always remember how to balance a bike, your overall
riding skills decline when not used. Probably the same with canoes.

For some reason, canoes seem to be a lot less popular out here on the
west coast than in the east or midwest of the USA. Don't know why.
Tradition?

I might go with a sit-on-top. Stable, easy to propel and control, trivial
self-rescue, not hard to sell when you're ready.

Probably what I'll do. But I'm just starting to shop around.

But you really should be working toward the supreme expression of the human
spirit on the water, the solo canoe.

:-) My thanks to you and all the others who've responded. I've gotten
a lot of good advice from this group.