Gary S.

Default Advice needed for old guy who wants to paddle

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:58:22 -0700, Tim Smith
wrote:

I'm 64 years old, and started a serious (i.e. lifetime, however much
that will be :-) fitness program two months ago. I am riding my bike 6
days a week, walking as much as I can, and have started using light
weights to get some upper body strength. I thought about joining a
fitness center, but I hate gyms, always have.

One would assume that your physician is involved in planning this
fitness program.

I am lucky enough to live in a community that has a number of
interconnected salt-water sloughs (or lagoons), and our garage is only
about 150 yards from one of them. Calm water, but deep enough for the
14-16 foot centerboard sailboats that you occasionally see out there.

I'd like to get a paddle boat that I can store in the garage, and
portage out to the lagoon. Problem is, I'm still rather overweight,
and much too ample around the midsection, so I doubt I'd fit in a
standard sea kayak (something I would like to work up towards).

Anyone have any suggestions about a boat light enough to carry the 150
yards, but ample and stable enough for someone like me? I live in
Northern California, in the Bay Area. Any good shops in this area
(there are several listed on google and in the local YP, but I need
one that isn't dedicated to the true kayak people)? California Canoe
and Kayak over in Oakland looks promising, and I am thinking of going
over there next week, but I'd like to get whatever advice I can here
first, so I know what questions to ask.

Two thoughts:

Consider a "sit on top" style boat, which would simplify entrance and
exit. Not an ideal choice in rough water, but it would seem your
neighborhood waterways are never going to have rough water. Once you
are in/on the boat, all paddling techniques are identical to what you
would do with the other type of boat, excepting rolls.

Also, there are strap-on wheel thingies which would allow you to wheel
the boat to the edge of the water, be removed and stowed, and allow
you to paddle without actually carrying the boat. Paddling shops carry
these in quite a variety, as many people end up parking a distance
from the water.

REI is another source for boats and gear.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA