don schad

Default Removable permit stickers

Hi all,

I am getting a boat permit sticker for a local lake for the price of
$50. I have multiple boats, and would like to be able to take whichever
I feel like for that day w/o having to purchase hundreds of dollars
worth of permits (i.e. one for each boat). So I'd like to make the
sticker easily removable and transferable between fiberglass boats. My
first thought was to stick the sticker to one of those static-cling type
glass "stickers", but these don't hang on to the glass all that well,
and probably the added weight of the sticker wouldn't help. Another
option would be to keep layering it with clear tape, and/or double stick
tape.

Anyone have any other suggestions for this problem?

Thanks,

don
Alan Smith

May not be the world's neatest solution, but a small Velcro pad - either
hooks or loops - affixed to each boat and the permit on a corresponding thin
piece of rigid plastic (or whatever) backed by the appropriate Velcro (hooks
if loops were used on the boats or vice versa) would give you portability.
Self-sticking Velcro can be found at most fair sized hardware stores.
"don schad" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am getting a boat permit sticker for a local lake for the price of
$50. I have multiple boats, and would like to be able to take whichever
I feel like for that day w/o having to purchase hundreds of dollars
worth of permits (i.e. one for each boat). So I'd like to make the
sticker easily removable and transferable between fiberglass boats. My
first thought was to stick the sticker to one of those static-cling type
glass "stickers", but these don't hang on to the glass all that well,
and probably the added weight of the sticker wouldn't help. Another
option would be to keep layering it with clear tape, and/or double stick
tape.

Anyone have any other suggestions for this problem?

Thanks,

don

bkr

Why not just leave the backing on the sticker and put it in a map case?
That way you can display it, though not as easily seen as a sticker,
and transfer it from boat to boat without any extra shenanigans.

bkr
don schad

bkr wrote:

Why not just leave the backing on the sticker and put it in a map case?
That way you can display it, though not as easily seen as a sticker,
and transfer it from boat to boat without any extra shenanigans.

Well, the "officals" at the place want the sticker to be "permanently"
attached to the boat so that, for example, I can't buy one sticker and
share it with the whole neighborhood. So the idea is to make it look
permanent, but allow me to share it with the whole neighborhood.

don
Blakely LaCroix

I run into this problem with my inflatables. Minneosota requires licensing and
display of the license on each boat. In the beginning, I naively pasted my
stickers on to my IK and raft, only to watch them peel off, get abraded into
obscurity, and have to file for duplicates.

I used to carry all of my licenses in a pouch in the top of my paddling hat,
but after losing the hat one year, I had to adopt a better method.

I solved this problem by laminating the sticker and attaching it with a cable
tie to the grab loop on the kayak and a front D ring on the raft. It was
permanent in the sense it needed to be cut off to move it. Since I do license
every boat, I had no reason to move the tag, but did make it much easier to
maintain.

If I buy a State Park permit sticker, the rangers like to see it attached to
the windshield before I drive off, or sometimes, they will attach it. I have
solved this problem, by buying two. One gets attached to my vehicle, and the
other I take home to put on a 3 x 3 inch square of soft vinyl which I can stick
on to the lower corner of the windshield of my choice. This works really well
for the second car in a shuttle when taking new or non-paddling people out for
a day.

Blakely

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.

Michael Daly

On 2-Jun-2004, "Alan Smith" wrote:

May not be the world's neatest solution, but a small Velcro pad - either
hooks or loops

Better to use the marine Velcro. The regular stuff comes apart when wet.

Mike
riverman

wrote in message
On 03 Jun 2004 15:29:05 GMT, (Blakely LaCroix)
wrote:

I run into this problem with my inflatables. Minneosota requires

licensing and
display of the license on each boat.

Might be a problem with whitewater boats, but I've never had a MN
sticker come off a flat water one. In fact, they're so sturdy that on
my old canoe I used to just paste them on top of each other. Easier
than trying to get one off. Had up to 6 when I gave it away.
Considering they were 3 year stickers, that boat, not new when I
bought it, had done a heck of a lot of duty.

I solved this problem by laminating the sticker and attaching it with a

cable
tie to the grab loop on the kayak and a front D ring on the raft. It was
permanent in the sense it needed to be cut off to move it. Since I do

license
every boat, I had no reason to move the tag, but did make it much easier

maintain.

Also, all they have to do is read the sticker. It describes the boat
it's on. Or at least the manufacturer of each boat. If you've got 2
or 3 perceptions, I suppose you could transfer the stickers, but so
few people have more than one boat. Or at least more than one boat by
the same company. (Not referring to anyone in this group, as I know
better, btw). Hmm. Can't recall if they have the length on each,
too.
--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

Back when I was a ski bum, we used to buy the day-passes from folks who were
leaving and put them on our jackets. To get them off, we'd wipe them with
brake fluid: it completely neutralized the glue and the sticker would peel
off like a piece of wet paper, but when it dried, it completely evaporated,
reactivated the glue, and left no trace on the ticket. It also worked on old
State of Maine Inspection stickers (if you had a car that wouldn't pass
inspection, just head down to the junkyard and find some car that recently
wrecked, and take that sticker off the windshield using brake fluid as a
solvent. ...Allegedly...)

Has anyone tried that on their permit stickers?

Gary S.

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:54:51 +0100, "riverman"
wrote:

Back when I was a ski bum, we used to buy the day-passes from folks who were
leaving and put them on our jackets. To get them off, we'd wipe them with
brake fluid: it completely neutralized the glue and the sticker would peel
off like a piece of wet paper, but when it dried, it completely evaporated,
reactivated the glue, and left no trace on the ticket. It also worked on old
State of Maine Inspection stickers (if you had a car that wouldn't pass
inspection, just head down to the junkyard and find some car that recently
wrecked, and take that sticker off the windshield using brake fluid as a
solvent. ...Allegedly...)

Has anyone tried that on their permit stickers?

Note that brake fluid can do a number on certain kinds of paint, no
idea about gelcoat. Don't try to save a few dollars and end up spening
lots of money fixing the damage.

At least try the solvent on a hidden part of the boat, or a scrap
piece of another one.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
don schad

riverman wrote:

Back when I was a ski bum, we used to buy the day-passes from folks who were
leaving and put them on our jackets. To get them off, we'd wipe them with
brake fluid: it completely neutralized the glue and the sticker would peel
off like a piece of wet paper, but when it dried, it completely evaporated,
reactivated the glue, and left no trace on the ticket. It also worked on old
State of Maine Inspection stickers (if you had a car that wouldn't pass
inspection, just head down to the junkyard and find some car that recently
wrecked, and take that sticker off the windshield using brake fluid as a
solvent. ...Allegedly...)

Has anyone tried that on their permit stickers?

Was that brake fluid or brake cleaner? Brake cleaner (usually comes in
a can with propellent) will evaporate w/o leaning a residue and is
pretty good at removing everything. I don't think that brake fluid
evaporates all the readily (I don't know, I've never played with it).

don