Michael

Default Permit required to leave the US by boat

As a US owned and registered boat (state/fed doesn't matter) you are
always under the jurisdiction of the USCG as a minimum. The permit for
leaving. Most of us call it a passport.

Nothing new there. Yesterdays stuff. The people want to move on ..... (I
remember that lastline from somewhere but where?)

M.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I don't know what the limit on the Pacific Coast is... 3 miles I thought,
but when we were off San Diego about 200 miles, we were overflown
by a CG search and rescue. Clearly, they knew were there and came
over for a look-see.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"FamilySailor" wrote in message
In Texas the State has jurisdiction out 3 miles. If you are more that 3
miles offshore you are out of the state, but the line for the US goes

out
into the Gulf of Mexico until it borders Mexican waters and that

is........
not sure exactly, but over 150 miles offshore. The US / Mexican border

runs
straight out from where the Rio Grand river spills into the Gulf of

Mexico.
I know, because I commercial fished along the line 20 years ago and

Mexican
gun boats ran along the line looking for boats that floated across that

line
staying by their fishing gear as it drifted. They would confiscate your
boat, gear, crew and you and throw you in jail, until your family could

pay
some ungodly $200,000 fine or more, depending on how nice your boat was

and
how much they thought your family might have. I would have rotted there.

Not sure how far it extends out in the Atlantic or Pacific. I know there

are
no international water in the Gulf of Mexico though.

Sea Yawl,
John

krj

The Coast Guard unveiled new restrictions Thursday for U.S. recreational
vessels traveling to Cuba, changing its focus from preventing
international incidents in Cuban waters to tightening the economic
embargo against the island.

The original restrictions were created by then-President Bill Clinton
after two exile group planes were shot down over international waters in
February 1996, hoping to avoid a similar situation.

.....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

It no longer matters whether boat operators intend to enter Cuban
waters, Coast Guard Lt. Tony Russell said. Anyone who does so without a
permit will be in violation of U.S. policy, he said.

Coast Guard officials say boaters who violate the new rules could be
fined up to $10,000 on the spot. Violators caught without a permit could
later receive a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for each day they were in
violation.

They also could be jailed and have their vessels confiscated by the
federal government.

"If you choose to ignore these regulations, there's a good chance you'll
be caught," Russell said.

Karin Conover-Lewis

Land of the Free and home of the Brave, eh? Do you have a link for that
article? I'd like to know who to bombard with my next nastygram campaign.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Vito

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

Ahhh, err, what does "leaving the US" mean? Can I sail just outside the
limit to dump tanks then return? Sail out far enough to catch the gulf
stream going to Newport?

Sounds like great material for a Rush Limbaugh type comedian.

krj

The link is:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...sfla-news-cuba
krj

Karin Conover-Lewis wrote:

Land of the Free and home of the Brave, eh? Do you have a link for that
article? I'd like to know who to bombard with my next nastygram campaign.

krj

The article was unclear as to what "leaving the US" meant. I don't think
my sailing from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and going out 4 milew to catch
the stream and dump the tanks are "leaving the US", but we are outside
the 3 mile limit so technically I suppose we "left the US" if we were to
be stopped by the coasties.
krj

Vito wrote:

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

Ahhh, err, what does "leaving the US" mean? Can I sail just outside the
limit to dump tanks then return? Sail out far enough to catch the gulf
stream going to Newport?

Sounds like great material for a Rush Limbaugh type comedian.

Free Rider

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
snip
It no longer matters whether boat operators intend to enter Cuban
waters, Coast Guard Lt. Tony Russell said. Anyone who does so without a
permit will be in violation of U.S. policy, he said.

Coast Guard officials say boaters who violate the new rules could be
fined up to $10,000 on the spot. Violators caught without a permit could
later receive a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for each day they were in
violation.

They also could be jailed and have their vessels confiscated by the
federal government.

"If you choose to ignore these regulations, there's a good chance you'll
be caught," Russell said.

I do think that the Lt.'s comments make it sound like it doesn't matter what
your destination is. Very open-ended. Sounds a lot like the wording in the
so-called "patriotic act". Anyone that supported that crap of legislation
deserves to spend a lifetime in a Siberian camp.

Sounds like "Papers, please."

Who'da thought GW Bush would have pounded the final nail into the coffin of
freedom? I guess it really didn't matter after all that Gore wasn't in
office. Demonrats and Commie-Repubates, what has this country come to?

Glenn Ashmore

krj wrote:
[...]

Read that paragraph very carefully. What he is saying is that if you
enter Cuban waters even thought it was not intended when the vessel
departed US waters you are still subject to fines. NOT that you have to
get a permit just to leave US waters. Basically it eliminates the
special security zone around South Florida and expands it to all US
waters. Up until last month when a cooperative enforcement agreement
was made with the Bahamas it was not practical to enforce such a rule.

The thing that hit me is that the regulation was issued without normally
required public comment using the guise of urgency to protect US
citizens from "excessive force, including deadly force" by the Cuban
government.

Coast Guard officials say boaters who violate the new rules could be
fined up to $10,000 on the spot. Violators caught without a permit could
later receive a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for each day they were in
violation.

They also could be jailed and have their vessels confiscated by the
federal government.

"If you choose to ignore these regulations, there's a good chance you'll
be caught," Russell said.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jack Dale

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:41:28 -0400, krj
wrote:

....The new restrictions, part of the Bush administration's crackdown on
travel to Cuba, prevent boaters from leaving any part of the United
States without first getting a permit, not just from the Coast Guard,
but also from the U.S. Treasury and Commerce departments.

It no longer matters whether boat operators intend to enter Cuban
waters, Coast Guard Lt. Tony Russell said. Anyone who does so without a
permit will be in violation of U.S. policy, he said.

Does this apply only to those who visit Cuba, or does it apply to any
destination?

There is a huge number of American boaters in the Gulf Islands and
Inside Passage.

Jack

Jack Dale
Swiftsure Sailing Academy
Director/ISPA and CYA Instructor
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com
Phone: 1 (877) 470-SAIL (toll free)
Glenn Ashmore

Here is the Federal Register article. Not quite as bad as it sounded at
first but still underhanded the way it was done without public comment
and no warning. Read the first paragraph under "Regulatory Information".

http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi...i on=retrieve

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
18 feet boat christos Boat Building 14 December 3rd 03 10:57 PM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM