posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Advice needed - Drilling a small hole in my PWC footwells?

It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so the
rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the hull/bilge
area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not using my
waverunner. When I am in the water, running the bilge can handle any small
amount of water that drains from the footwells into the hull. What do ya
think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

"Chuck" wrote in message
It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so
the rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the
hull/bilge area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not
using my waverunner. When I am in the water, running the bilge can handle
any small amount of water that drains from the footwells into the hull.
What do ya think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

I've got a better idea. Take a half inch drill bit and drill about a hundred
holes in the bottom of the hull. Thank you.

PWCs should be banned.

--
Gregory Hall

Chuck wrote:
It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so
the rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the
hull/bilge area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not
using my waverunner. When I am in the water, running the bilge can
handle any small amount of water that drains from the footwells into the
hull. What do ya think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

Back when I was cruzin in my yellow and mauve waverunner, I would
yada yada yada
Wilbur
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

For a PWC, the best solution I can think of is to drill the hole in the
footwell you are contemplating and drill another matching hole in the hull
bottom directly under it.

--
Roger Long

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Chuck" wrote in news:Ca6ck.186773$TT4.51356@attbi_s22:

What do ya
think???

Not a good idea at all........

WHEN, not if, a PWC flips over, it rides on a trapped bubble of air caused
by the hull that is quite well sealed around its bottom. Notice how all
the openings in the PWC hull are high up when it's sitting upright.

When it flips over, it floats on this bubble with very little air leakage
out to sink it until you show up, laughing and panting, to flip it back
over. When you do flip it back over, WITH THE CARBS GOING OVER THE TOP
PLEASE, there is very little water now trapped in the hull because of this
hydraulic locked air bubble that kept the water out of the hull upside
down.....and kept the water out of the engine upside down, too!

Now YOU come along and want to drill some VENT HOLES to let the TRAPPED AIR
BUBBLE escape allowing water to rush into the upside down hull to flood the
amazingly-expensive-to-fix engine and maybe even sink the boat!

Not a good idea.......AT ALL.......

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:13:22 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so the
rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the hull/bilge
area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not using my
waverunner. When I am in the water, running the bilge can handle any small
amount of water that drains from the footwells into the hull. What do ya
think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

If there is some way to drill a drain hole slanting downwards through
thewell and the hull, into which you could fit a well fixed tube,
that would be a better approach

Brian W
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

For a PWC, the best solution I can think of is to drill the hole in
the footwell you are contemplating and drill another matching hole in
the hull bottom directly under it.

--
Roger Long

Now, now.....let's be nice.....

Stop throwing sand in the sandbox or the teacher will be sending you into
the principal's office.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Larry, I understand where you are coming from. I had intended to
plug the holes with flush plugs like those pictured here
http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma...ll/acessories/ or
here http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/acces...aqub9506-2.jpg
I will wait to see a few more responses and will still probably wait. By
then the water I am so concerned about may evaporate!

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Uh, maybe a cover to keep the rain out?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Chuck" wrote in

Thanks Larry, I understand where you are coming from. I had intended
to plug the holes with flush plugs like those pictured here
http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma...ll/acessories/
or here http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/acces...aqub9506-2.jpg
I will wait to see a few more responses and will still probably wait.
By then the water I am so concerned about may evaporate!

Why not just tilt the PWC trailer up so the ride plate is sitting on the
ground. Prop it up there if you have to. There's no oil in the engine
that's gonna run out tilted with the bow up like that. If you tilt it up,
the footwells will drain out the back like they're supposed to....no holes
necessary.

small sailboat advice MatthewK Boat Building 11 October 3rd 07 11:58 PM
Jet Ski Advice Needed Tom General 0 June 27th 05 02:24 PM
fibreglass boat with hole :: advice Bluesky UK Power Boats 3 October 8th 04 04:37 PM
Small Boat Recommendation Needed Submariner General 4 June 7th 04 07:10 PM
Advice needed Adrian Boat Building 9 September 23rd 03 06:06 PM