posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default Advice needed - Drilling a small hole in my PWC footwells?

"Larry" wrote in message
"Chuck" wrote in news:Ca6ck.186773$TT4.51356@attbi_s22:

What do ya
think???

Not a good idea at all........

WHEN, not if, a PWC flips over, it rides on a trapped bubble of air caused
by the hull that is quite well sealed around its bottom. Notice how all
the openings in the PWC hull are high up when it's sitting upright.

When it flips over, it floats on this bubble with very little air leakage
out to sink it until you show up, laughing and panting, to flip it back
over. When you do flip it back over, WITH THE CARBS GOING OVER THE TOP
PLEASE, there is very little water now trapped in the hull because of this
hydraulic locked air bubble that kept the water out of the hull upside
down.....and kept the water out of the engine upside down, too!

Now YOU come along and want to drill some VENT HOLES to let the TRAPPED
AIR
BUBBLE escape allowing water to rush into the upside down hull to flood
the
amazingly-expensive-to-fix engine and maybe even sink the boat!

Not a good idea.......AT ALL.......

Thanks Larry, I understand where you are coming from. I had intended to
plug the holes with flush plugs like those pictured here
http://www.moellermarine.com/afterma...ll/acessories/ or
here http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/acces...aqub9506-2.jpg
I will wait to see a few more responses and will still probably wait. By
then the water I am so concerned about may evaporate!