posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Senior Member

Default Advice needed - Drilling a small hole in my PWC footwells?

On Jul 6, 12:13*pm, "Chuck" wrote:
It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so the
rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the hull/bilge
area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not using my
waverunner. *When I am in the water, running the bilge can handle any small
amount of water that drains from the footwells into the hull. *What do ya
think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

No problem man, it's a boat right? Even if it's a small one
Welcome to wrecked boats.. We don't have a lot of spam, but we do have
our snarks.. and I can be one of them... So strap on your flame proof
undies, and post away

Scotty from SmallBoats.com
RowdyMouseRacing.com
Trip-Reports.com Where did you go today?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Jul 6, 2:28*pm, Larry wrote:
"Chuck" wrote innews:Ca6ck.186773$TT4.51356@attbi_s22:

What do ya
think???

Not a good idea at all........

WHEN, not if, a PWC flips over, it rides on a trapped bubble of air caused
by the hull that is quite well sealed around its bottom. *Notice how all
the openings in the PWC hull are high up when it's sitting upright.

When it flips over, it floats on this bubble with very little air leakage
out to sink it until you show up, laughing and panting, to flip it back
hydraulic locked air bubble that kept the water out of the hull upside
down.....and kept the water out of the engine upside down, too!

Now YOU come along and want to drill some VENT HOLES to let the TRAPPED AIR
BUBBLE escape allowing water to rush into the upside down hull to flood the
amazingly-expensive-to-fix engine and maybe even sink the boat!

Not a good idea.......AT ALL.......

- over. When you do flip it back over, WITH THE CARBS GOING OVER THE
TOP
- PLEASE, there is very little water now trapped in the hull because
of this

Mine has a label on the bottom telling the rider which way to
flip :-) Yes, drilling holes bad idea.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote in news:340fafa0-dcf8-4c1e-b1db-7444bf5e8dd0@
34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Mine has a label on the bottom telling the rider which way to
flip :-) Yes, drilling holes bad idea.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS, PLEASE FLIP ME OVER AND CALL THE CORONER!

On Jul 7, 1:13*pm, wrote:
On Jul 6, 2:28*pm, Larry wrote:

[...]

flip :-) *Yes, drilling holes bad idea.- Hide quoted text -

I agree completely. Of course I should note that this is one of my two
pet peeves.. Always use the right tool for the job (or don't do it)
and never modify a tried and true boat design. They both kinda' got
together really. If you have to modify your boat, you probably bought
the wrong tool for your needs...

wrote in message
On Jul 6, 12:13 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
It rains a lot here and I am thinking of drilling an 1/8" drain hole so
the
rain water drains from the topside of the footwells down into the
hull/bilge
area and then out the back of the drain plugs when I am not using my
waverunner. When I am in the water, running the bilge can handle any small
amount of water that drains from the footwells into the hull. What do ya
think???

ps: Sorry to ask here but the PWC newsgroup is all spam now.

No problem man, it's a boat right? Even if it's a small one
Welcome to wrecked boats.. We don't have a lot of spam, but we do have
our snarks.. and I can be one of them... So strap on your flame proof
undies, and post away

OK... after reading all of the comments, I WILL NOT be drilling any holes,
big or small in the hull of my small "boat." I have covers which I will
use... and will figure out what to do with the small bit of water that
penetrates anyways.

Chuck

On 2008-07-06 21:40:17 -0400, "Chuck" said:

I have a boat and two Yamaha PWC's.

I couldn't help but snicker that even you don't call them boats ;-)

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-07-07 22:13:09 -0400, "Chuck" said:

OK... after reading all of the comments, I WILL NOT be drilling any
holes, big or small in the hull of my small "boat." I have covers
which I will use... and will figure out what to do with the small bit
of water that penetrates anyways.

That's what sponges are for.

--
Jere Lull

On 2008-07-07 22:13:09 -0400, "Chuck" said:

OK... after reading all of the comments, I WILL NOT be drilling any
holes, big or small in the hull of my small "boat." *I have covers
which I will use... and will figure out what to do with the small bit
of water that penetrates anyways.

That's what sponges are for.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI trips & tips:http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

Great idea. If I were him I would get a sponge on a short tether I
could hook on the vessel somewhere easy to reach..

small sailboat advice MatthewK Boat Building 11 October 3rd 07 11:58 PM
Jet Ski Advice Needed Tom General 0 June 27th 05 02:24 PM
fibreglass boat with hole :: advice Bluesky UK Power Boats 3 October 8th 04 04:37 PM
Small Boat Recommendation Needed Submariner General 4 June 7th 04 07:10 PM
Advice needed Adrian Boat Building 9 September 23rd 03 06:06 PM