Default Music

Yesterday I took wife, daughter, and granddaughter to see the United States
Marine Band perform. They did a spectacular job, as usual.

On the way home, I asked my daughter and granddaughter if they learned any
patriotic songs in school. When I was a kid, we learned "God Bless
America," "America the Beautiful," My Country 'tis of Thee," " Battle Hymn
of the Republic," and so on. Apparently these songs are too religious, for
the most part, to be taught in public schools anymore.

Anyone have different experiences?
--
John H

On Jan 28, 9:23*am, HarryLovesBushandRush
wrote:
Yesterday I took wife, daughter, and granddaughter to see the United States
Marine Band perform. They did a spectacular job, as usual.

On the way home, I asked my daughter and granddaughter if they learned any
patriotic songs in school. When I was a kid, we learned "God Bless
America," "America the Beautiful," *My Country 'tis of Thee," " Battle Hymn
of the Republic," and so on. Apparently these songs are too religious, for
the most part, to be taught in public schools anymore.

Anyone have different experiences?
--
John H

How do you know that it's because of them being "too religious"?

"John" wrote in message

"HarryLovesBushandRush" wrote in message
Yesterday I took wife, daughter, and granddaughter to see the United
States
Marine Band perform. They did a spectacular job, as usual.

On the way home, I asked my daughter and granddaughter if they learned
any
patriotic songs in school. When I was a kid, we learned "God Bless
America," "America the Beautiful," My Country 'tis of Thee," " Battle
Hymn
of the Republic," and so on. Apparently these songs are too religious,
for
the most part, to be taught in public schools anymore.

Anyone have different experiences?
--
John H

I live in one of the most liberal cities in NC. When my daughter was in
fifth grade I asked her if she new the Pledge of Allegiance. Her comment
was "yes we just learned that as a history lesson". I was stunned, fifth
grade and just learned the pledge as a HISTORY lesson?????

I wrote a letter to the principal and asked him why they only taught the
pledge of allegiance as a history lesson. The reply that I got back, came
directly from the Supervisor of schools for the city. Basically it was a
super PC answer, they will not force anyone to say any oaths in
classrooms.

Since then North Carolina has passed a state law to put the pledge back
into schools.

I'd rather my kid pledge allegiance to ideas, not flags. I realize that's an
inconvenience to some people, but hey...that's life.

HK HK is offline

John wrote:
[...]

If this is truly a "free" country, then no one, not even a child, should
have to participate in a mandatory "pledge" to an inanimate object, such
as a flag.

I just noticed through reading your post that the garbage known as
"Herring" has a new handle. Filters are wonderful.

--
George W. Bush - Worst President Ever, to the very last minute of the
very last day of his term.

Lying about an extramarital affair is an impeachable offense, but a
president lying to enlist support for a war in which thousands die is
solid defense policy.
Senior Member

On Jan 28, 10:50*am, HK wrote:
John wrote:
"HarryLovesBushandRush" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

And I challenge you to show me one incident where there has been a
"mandatory pledge to an inanimate object" forced on any child, or
adult for that matter. I have been proven wrong here before and admit
it freely but I don't think anyone has been stupid enough to "force"
any pledge as "manditory" in over a decade. Again, please feel free to
prove me wrong...

On Jan 28, 12:23*pm, wrote:
On Jan 28, 10:50*am, HK wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

prove me wrong...- Hide quoted text -

When I was in school, not standing up and saying the Pledge got you
sent to the principal's office, detention etc.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Jan 28, 10:50 am, HK wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Yes, well, that was the point of the superintendent of schools in that
unnamed North Carolina city, a point with which I agreed and my post
reinforced. Children should not be forced or even coerced in "pledging"
or prayer. Do you actually have the ability to read for content?

I wish schools could get out entirely of any business except teaching
reading, writing, math, and science, and helping kids learn how to
think. It was pretty much like that in the 1950's in my public schools.
We didn't waste a second on crapola like school prayer and pledges.

--
George W. Bush - Worst President Ever, to the very last minute of the
very last day of his term.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

I wish schools could get out entirely of any business except teaching
reading, writing, math, and science, and helping kids learn how to think.
It was pretty much like that in the 1950's in my public schools. We didn't
waste a second on crapola like school prayer and pledges.

What public school system did you attend? Seems to me I remember public
schools in the 50's having a short session in the morning where we all
stood, recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and had a moment of silence for
private prayer for those so inclined.

The atom bomb drills, including hiding under your desk, were held in the
afternoon.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
I wish schools could get out entirely of any business except teaching
reading, writing, math, and science, and helping kids learn how to think.
It was pretty much like that in the 1950's in my public schools. We didn't
waste a second on crapola like school prayer and pledges.

What public school system did you attend? Seems to me I remember public
schools in the 50's having a short session in the morning where we all
stood, recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and had a moment of silence for
private prayer for those so inclined.

The atom bomb drills, including hiding under your desk, were held in the
afternoon.

Eisboch

New Haven. School prayer was *kaput* at my school by the fifth grade,
and if memory serves, there was no "pledge" in junior high or high
school. We weren't much into desk diving, either. In fact, I remember my
7th Grade science teacher telling us that since we lived in New Haven,
where much military armament was made, and where many machine tools were
made, we were on the prime target list anyway, and would certainly be
vaporized if a nuclear war started.

That was the year I built my cloud chamber. Still remember most of the
details of that, too.

HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well it is good to see you haven't lost all of your mind, and can
remember the cloud chamber, but I would find it hard to believe if you
didn't do a pledge of allegiance in school and most likely had a moment
of silence.

For you music lovers Jim General 0 January 17th 08 04:19 PM
Wake up music! JohnH General 1 March 9th 06 02:54 PM
A little music Jim General 1 October 1st 04 11:34 PM
looking for music simonwestgarth UK Paddle 0 August 26th 03 01:41 AM