Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] is offline

Default Music

HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
I wish schools could get out entirely of any business except teaching
reading, writing, math, and science, and helping kids learn how to
think. It was pretty much like that in the 1950's in my public
schools. We didn't waste a second on crapola like school prayer and
pledges.

What public school system did you attend? Seems to me I remember
public schools in the 50's having a short session in the morning where
we all stood, recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and had a moment of
silence for private prayer for those so inclined.

The atom bomb drills, including hiding under your desk, were held in
the afternoon.

Eisboch

New Haven. School prayer was *kaput* at my school by the fifth grade,
and if memory serves, there was no "pledge" in junior high or high
school. We weren't much into desk diving, either. In fact, I remember my
7th Grade science teacher telling us that since we lived in New Haven,
where much military armament was made, and where many machine tools were
made, we were on the prime target list anyway, and would certainly be
vaporized if a nuclear war started.

That was the year I built my cloud chamber. Still remember most of the
details of that, too.

Well it is good to see you haven't lost all of your mind, and can
remember the cloud chamber, but I would find it hard to believe if you
didn't do a pledge of allegiance in school and most likely had a moment
of silence.