HK HK is offline

Default Bird Treats

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:38:11 -0500, HK wrote:

Perhaps you could back that Floating RV [aka, wonderful Grand Banks trawler] up to the shoreline, mount some
hi-end loudspeakers, and tell the farmers and their customers around
here why they should stop growing and selling deer corn and deer apples.

The Chesapeake will have to wait for warmer weather. We are off to
the Dry Tortugas, Key West and points south. If I see any good deals
on deer corn, deer apples or bovine excrement I'll let you know.

Gosh. What a perilous voyage.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:25:59 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

The Chesapeake will have to wait for warmer weather. We are off to
the Dry Tortugas, Key West and points south. If I see any good deals
on deer corn, deer apples or bovine excrement I'll let you know.

I'm jealous.

Think we could make an arrangement to tow the Ranger behind you - you
know, kind of like a life raft? :)

Easy flight down to Key West, no problem getting over to the Dry Tortugas.

wrote:

The Chesapeake will have to wait for warmer weather. We are off to
the Dry Tortugas, Key West and points south. If I see any good deals
on deer corn, deer apples or bovine excrement I'll let you know.

I'm jealous.

Think we could make an arrangement to tow the Ranger behind you - you
know, kind of like a life raft? :)

Absolutely. I once saw a guy doing exactly that with a Grady White 26
following along behind him..

They make a pretty nice dinghy. :-)

wrote:

The Chesapeake will have to wait for warmer weather. We are off to
the Dry Tortugas, Key West and points south. If I see any good deals
on deer corn, deer apples or bovine excrement I'll let you know.

I'm jealous.

Think we could make an arrangement to tow the Ranger behind you - you
know, kind of like a life raft? :)

Easy flight down to Key West, no problem getting over to the Dry Tortugas.

Harry,
Yeah, why in the world would anyone who reads rec.boats want to actually
use a boat and boat there.

You are a tripm you don't even know how silly you sound. Why don't you
go visit rec.planes.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:20:12 -0500, HK wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:38:11 -0500, HK wrote:

Perhaps you could back that Floating RV [aka, wonderful Grand Banks trawler] up to the shoreline, mount some
hi-end loudspeakers, and tell the farmers and their customers around
here why they should stop growing and selling deer corn and deer apples.

The Chesapeake will have to wait for warmer weather. We are off to
the Dry Tortugas, Key West and points south. If I see any good deals
on deer corn, deer apples or bovine excrement I'll let you know.

Gosh. What a perilous voyage.

The admiral is opposed to "perilous voyage" on religious principles.
It is definitely a high transom trip however, 50 to 60 miles offshore
in places. Last year we were in 6 to 8 footers for a while both down
and back - not exactly life threatening in our boat but they get your
attention when you're taking them on the chin. There's just nothing
like seeing that beautiful warm, blue-green tropical water come flying
over the flybridge 20 feet in the air.

How are things with the M/V LT Shrinkwrap and the Patuxent River? We
haven't heard too many trip reports from your part of the world. If
Eisboch can get out for a quick spin, surely you could also. Dress
warm, stay dry and keep your shields, errr transom, up.

Will we be seeing you at Yale next month? Cheerio.

HK HK is offline

Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Awwww.

How are things with the M/V LT Shrinkwrap and the Patuxent River?

Fabulous. Went canoeing Sunday out on the Shenandoah, one of the
pleasures of having a portable boat. I'm going down to the CBBT next
week for a day or two of fishing with a Parker buddy. Might go offshore
a bit, but no need to go 60 miles out. Kinda stupid to do that,
actually, if you are coastal cruising.

We
haven't heard too many trip reports from your part of the world. If
Eisboch can get out for a quick spin, surely you could also. Dress
warm, stay dry and keep your shields, errr transom, up.

Will we be seeing you at Yale next month? Cheerio.

I've had my fill of Februaries in New Haven. Got a nice trip planned to
Southern California next month.

Happy Transmissions.

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:48:54 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

My daughter, a nature lover like her dad, makes pretty much the same
mixture! Only thing is trying to keep the squirrels out of it!

I just go to Costco, buy a 40# box of seed. Freeze the seed for a couple
days. Pour it in my feeder which holds about 8#. The birds share with
the
squirrels. They just have to wait an hour or so until the squirrels take
brake. Freezing the seeds cuts the germination rate down to an acceptable
level. Only get a few sunflowers and milo growing in the yard now. The
squirrels need to eat also.

And the roof rats thank you at night. (AKA "Palmetto Squirrels" around
here)
Everybody gotta eat.

BTW there are a lot of ecologists who say feeding the birds, or any
wild animals, is a bad idea.
I don't have an opinion but one of the saddest sights I have seen was
the great white egret pecking on my mom's door after she died. This
guy had forgotten how to fish.

We do not seem to have many roof rats this year. Between the removal of a
palm tree next door. Roof Rat and opossum Hilton. And the fact I have a
rat feeder on the fence, we have reduced the population immensely. The
squirrels do not go in the rat feeder and the wharfin blocks do not seem to
get nibbled on much anymore. A few years ago, we had rats dieing all over
the deck and yard. The Decon packages did not last wrong. I also grow
grapes and the RR, opossums and racoons show up for those in season.

"HK" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:48:54 -0800, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:33 pm, John H. wrote:
Came across this recipe for bird treats in the latest copy of
Virginia's
'Outdoor Report'.

The following recipe is a great food mixture for birds that can be
smeared
on tree bark, fence posts, the wood in a wood pile, or pine cones hung
in
the yard where they can be seen from your windows. This mix provides a
supplemental source of fat energy and nutrients to the birds. Making
the
mixture is fun, inexpensive and something the whole family can join
in.

First, in large bowl, stir together:

1 part flour,
3 parts yellow corn meal,
1 part bird seed,
a handful of raisins and
a handful of shelled peanuts.
Then add 1 part of lard or peanut butter and stir until the mixture
holds
together in one big ball. (Or, you can substitute bacon grease that's
been
rendered and chilled, but do not use shortening.)

This mixture will attract nuthatches, chickadees, tufted titmice,
brown
creepers, woodpeckers, mockingbirds and even bluebirds. Keep a record
of
the different species of birds you observe, it's fun and educational
for
"children" of all ages. The birds will appreciate it too!

--
John H
My daughter, a nature lover like her dad, makes pretty much the same
mixture! Only thing is trying to keep the squirrels out of it!

I just go to Costco, buy a 40# box of seed. Freeze the seed for a
couple
days. Pour it in my feeder which holds about 8#. The birds share with
the
squirrels. They just have to wait an hour or so until the squirrels
take a
brake. Freezing the seeds cuts the germination rate down to an
acceptable
level. Only get a few sunflowers and milo growing in the yard now.
The
squirrels need to eat also.

You and I differ in that regard. I'm not in to feeding the damn
squirrels.
They multiply plenty fast enough without any help from me.

I buy black oil sunflower seeds from Lowes. They won't grow, many of the
birds love 'em, and they're cheap. I also put up a couple thistle seed
feeders for the finches and keep a herd of goldfinch around.
--
John H

Boy... you've gone from 'Johnny Appleseed' to 'Johnny Birdseed' this
year. What's next?

I thought the ranking a**holes who infect this newsgroup were opposed to
the feeding of wild animals.

You seem to be confused again.

"HK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:33 pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

take a brake. Freezing the seeds cuts the germination rate down to an
acceptable level. Only get a few sunflowers and milo growing in the yard
now. The squirrels need to eat also.

We have separate areas for the birds and the squirrels. Since the
squirrels don't have to work hard to get at the food that's for them, they
typically stay away from the bird feeds until the squirrel food is gone.

The foxes and raccoons like almost any kind of Purina dog chow. We get
that because it never had the Chinese bakelite in it. Most of the raccoons
are hibernating now, but the fox couple comes by a couple times a week.

The deer go for "deer corn" and "deer apples," both of which are sold
around here for next to nothing.

The deer ate the roses and hibiscus. Wife was really ****ed about the
Hibiscus. We do not encourage them to come the couple of blocks from the
open space in the area.

HK HK is offline

Calif Bill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:33 pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

That was a tongue in cheek remark, Bilious. Not aimed at those who feed
critters.

Like a bird Capt. JG ASA 0 July 15th 07 01:39 AM
The Bird Man Joe ASA 3 February 15th 06 03:24 AM
OT - Big Bird the Killer! Mule General 1 December 22nd 05 09:34 PM
Bird crap? Bob Crantz ASA 0 October 31st 05 09:30 PM