Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Bird Treats

wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:48:54 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

My daughter, a nature lover like her dad, makes pretty much the same
mixture! Only thing is trying to keep the squirrels out of it!

I just go to Costco, buy a 40# box of seed. Freeze the seed for a couple
days. Pour it in my feeder which holds about 8#. The birds share with
the
squirrels. They just have to wait an hour or so until the squirrels take
brake. Freezing the seeds cuts the germination rate down to an acceptable
level. Only get a few sunflowers and milo growing in the yard now. The
squirrels need to eat also.

And the roof rats thank you at night. (AKA "Palmetto Squirrels" around
here)
Everybody gotta eat.

BTW there are a lot of ecologists who say feeding the birds, or any
wild animals, is a bad idea.
I don't have an opinion but one of the saddest sights I have seen was
the great white egret pecking on my mom's door after she died. This
guy had forgotten how to fish.

We do not seem to have many roof rats this year. Between the removal of a
palm tree next door. Roof Rat and opossum Hilton. And the fact I have a
rat feeder on the fence, we have reduced the population immensely. The
squirrels do not go in the rat feeder and the wharfin blocks do not seem to
get nibbled on much anymore. A few years ago, we had rats dieing all over
the deck and yard. The Decon packages did not last wrong. I also grow
grapes and the RR, opossums and racoons show up for those in season.