HK HK is offline

Default Bird Treats

Calif Bill wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:48:54 -0800, "Calif Bill"

wrote:

wrote in message
On Jan 10, 9:33 pm, John H. wrote:
Came across this recipe for bird treats in the latest copy of
Virginia's
'Outdoor Report'.

The following recipe is a great food mixture for birds that can be
smeared
on tree bark, fence posts, the wood in a wood pile, or pine cones hung
in
the yard where they can be seen from your windows. This mix provides a
supplemental source of fat energy and nutrients to the birds. Making
the
mixture is fun, inexpensive and something the whole family can join
in.

First, in large bowl, stir together:

1 part flour,
3 parts yellow corn meal,
1 part bird seed,
a handful of raisins and
a handful of shelled peanuts.
Then add 1 part of lard or peanut butter and stir until the mixture
holds
together in one big ball. (Or, you can substitute bacon grease that's
been
rendered and chilled, but do not use shortening.)

This mixture will attract nuthatches, chickadees, tufted titmice,
brown
creepers, woodpeckers, mockingbirds and even bluebirds. Keep a record
of
the different species of birds you observe, it's fun and educational
for
"children" of all ages. The birds will appreciate it too!

--
John H
My daughter, a nature lover like her dad, makes pretty much the same

I just go to Costco, buy a 40# box of seed. Freeze the seed for a
couple
days. Pour it in my feeder which holds about 8#. The birds share with
the
squirrels. They just have to wait an hour or so until the squirrels
take a
brake. Freezing the seeds cuts the germination rate down to an
acceptable
level. Only get a few sunflowers and milo growing in the yard now.
The
squirrels need to eat also.

You and I differ in that regard. I'm not in to feeding the damn
squirrels.
They multiply plenty fast enough without any help from me.

I buy black oil sunflower seeds from Lowes. They won't grow, many of the
birds love 'em, and they're cheap. I also put up a couple thistle seed
feeders for the finches and keep a herd of goldfinch around.
--
John H
Boy... you've gone from 'Johnny Appleseed' to 'Johnny Birdseed' this

I thought the ranking a**holes who infect this newsgroup were opposed to
the feeding of wild animals.

You seem to be confused again.

That was a tongue in cheek remark, Bilious. Not aimed at those who feed
critters.