Default Opinion on this boat

I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Senior Member

On Jan 3, 3:17*pm, wrote:
I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Looks like a girls boat...

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:17:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Woodstock, GA. I have a QSL card from Woodstock, GA.

Well, the engine may be problematic - the VRO pumps on those weren't
known for outstanding reliability. On the other hand, if the owner
went with external tanks and mixed the gas/oil, it's probably fine. It
he didn't, but did it from the internal tank, that's also problematic.
Then again, it may be fine - no way to tell. You know the engine look
over drill as well as anyone else here - hour of shop time and have it
looked at to be sure.

Also be aware that Evinrude does not support VRO engines anymore, but
parts are available, but don't take my word for that - they may not be
anymore.

As to the boat, it is what it is. Entry level bass boat with nothing
in particular to recommend it, but nothing in particular to not
recommend it. This one looks to be in ok shape for it's age -
certainly it's been used hard, but not abused if you get my drift -
that's from just looking at the pictures.

Do the usual things - check the live well pumps, the forward deck for
soft spots (I don't believe that model encased the wood - just plain
marine grade plywood - could be wrong), the bolt through holes in the
transom for sinking bolts, grab the engine skeg and bounce it up and
down to see if the transom is solid - the usual stuff - you know what
to do.

The one thing I would do it look at the corners of the rear deck -
that seems to be where the rear deck problems being on these boats -
even the same vintage Stratos had those problems - couldn't tell you
why.

The electronics aren't anything to brag about - that paper chart
recorder is a riot!! I had the same one on an '89 Ranger when I was
on the NE amateur bass trail.

Frankly, and I'm not trying to be a jerk here, unless you can get it
for $3K max, I'd keep looking around.

However, it's up to you.

On Jan 3, 3:53*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
[...]

That's exactly the $ range I was thinking, Tom. And I know that the
electronics aren't up to snuff, especially the paper chart! I'll be
using my stuff if I buy it. I'll look at the problem areas you
suggested, like the rear deck, and like you, I'm a little (more than a
little!) leery of the motor, that's the main reason I was asking. I'd
heard of those vintage unEvinrudes blowing up. I like my very old
Evinrude, but in that year range, I'd really rather have a Merc.
Thanks for the input.

On Jan 3, 12:17�pm, wrote:
I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Be careful with this one.
Based upon the way the current owner put this up for sale, I'd say
there is close to zero pride of ownership. Lot's of dirt in the bilge,
trash under the helm, etc. Anybody who cared about the boat would have
spent 10-15 mintues cleaning it up before taking the photos for the
ad. Anybody who *doesn't* care about the boat probably has been less
than attentive to maintenance and repair.

Senior Member

On Jan 3, 8:03*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Gay. Extremely gay.

Gay? No way, too dirty... just a chicks boat... a dirty chick...

wrote in message

I'm going to ride up and take a look at this, the guy seemed like he'd
deal, and it's been on the list for quite awhile. Anybody ever owned
one of these motors, or know about them? How about the boat itself?
I'd take that hot foot off, I don't like them, and I think the empty
cigarette packs are throw in for free!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/526435056.html

Gay. Extremely gay.

Gay? No way, too dirty... just a chicks boat... a dirty chick...

It could also be extremely Guido. Cheap Guido. We get a lot of that on the
lakes around here.

Size opinion on boat scbafreak Boat Building 0 January 24th 07 12:33 PM
opinion on boat Charlie Brown General 9 August 28th 05 06:23 PM
Opinion on Power boat? HotRod Boat Building 1 June 25th 05 09:36 PM
Opinion on older checkmate boat.... Shawn General 2 July 1st 04 11:51 AM
Boat Quality/Opinion Sources Wklkj General 1 January 26th 04 02:48 PM