Shawn

Default Opinion on older checkmate boat....

I'm looking at buying an older 1974 Checkmate 16' speed boat with a
135 hp Johnson (i call it Grampa's Speed boat cause it's old and a
kinda ugly brownish color). I'm not sure of the model but I think it's
something like a Tri-mate and it's got a V-hull. The hull seems to be
in good shape for a boat that old. The guy is asking $1600 and I'm
thinking of offering him around $1200. I intend on restoring it a bit
(I've seen restored versions of this boat sell for around $3000 or
more). I'm a newbie to the boating scene, but I have lake access and i
want a boat i can fish with and maybe use for skiing/tubing. I'm also
kinda poor with a budget under $2000 for a boat. Anyways my question
is, since i know little about boat motors/2-cycle engines, how can I
tell if this (mid-1980's?) 135 hp Johnson motor is a good boat motor?
And if it is, is that kind of boat capable of handling that much
horsepower or will I be ragin around the lake one day and all the
sudden it'll explode into fiberglass chunks?

If anybody has a good honest opinion let me know. I'd be glad to
answer any computer software/hardware/wireless networking questions
cause that's stuff i do know something about.

Thanks,

Shawn
Jim

Shawn,

I'm not familiar with Checkmate boats, and haven't seen the one
you're looking at so I can't really comment on the 'deal'.
However, that IS an old boat. If you can find a buddy that knows
boats to tag along and check it out, I strongly suggest it. At
that age, you don't know what kind of condition the stringers are
in, which I would consider the most important aspect of that boat.
You might not even get to an area where you can check any out. If
it has been kept covered and out of the elements, all the better.
As far as the motor is concerned, at the very least do a
compression check and verify the water pump is working by looking
at the tell-tale when it's running. Also assume that you WILL
change the water pump impeller when you get it. And by all means,
check it out on the water! Even at your $1200 offer.

Out of curiosity, I went to google and typed in Checkmate boat
and came up with the following first link:
http://www.checkmate-boats.com/ Looks to me like a great place
to ask your questions.

Going to the US Coast Guards' MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code)
database, it looks like Checkmate went into business in '77 and is
STILL in business! Their MIC is CHK and the link to the MIC database
is he http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm

-Jim

Woodchuck

Check for transom rot! Go ask your question here www.screamandfly.com

"Shawn" wrote in message
om...
[...]

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM