Jim

Default Opinion on older checkmate boat....

Shawn,

I'm not familiar with Checkmate boats, and haven't seen the one
you're looking at so I can't really comment on the 'deal'.
However, that IS an old boat. If you can find a buddy that knows
boats to tag along and check it out, I strongly suggest it. At
that age, you don't know what kind of condition the stringers are
in, which I would consider the most important aspect of that boat.
You might not even get to an area where you can check any out. If
it has been kept covered and out of the elements, all the better.
As far as the motor is concerned, at the very least do a
compression check and verify the water pump is working by looking
at the tell-tale when it's running. Also assume that you WILL
change the water pump impeller when you get it. And by all means,
check it out on the water! Even at your $1200 offer.

Out of curiosity, I went to google and typed in Checkmate boat
and came up with the following first link:
http://www.checkmate-boats.com/ Looks to me like a great place
to ask your questions.

Going to the US Coast Guards' MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code)
database, it looks like Checkmate went into business in '77 and is
STILL in business! Their MIC is CHK and the link to the MIC database
is he http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm

-Jim