posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Fabrics - Tropos, Wavetex, TriTon, Goretex

I'm in the market for a new paddling top for use with Farmer John.
Drytop not needed because I have drysuit.

Campmor sells the Kokatat Super Breeze made of Tropos fabric for $85.
Several websites say Tropos is nylon with "custom" urethane coating
inside and DWR spray outside.

NRS sells the Endurance jacket made of Wavetex for $70, described here
as nylon coated with breathable urethane inside and DWR spray outside.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/material.asp

In general, ya think these fabrics have approximately equal lifespan?
Perhaps they are even the same fabric.

My Patagonia paddling top had a white hypalon-like coating inside
that didn't last very long; quite a disappointment. I think my old
cheapo Kokatat with urethane coating lasted longer.

The NRS jacket has a weird upper-arm pocket, whereas the Kokatat has
a traditional mesh pocket on the chest. Guess I prefer the Kokatat.
Other jacket ideas welcome.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Forgot to mention Triton and Goretex.

Triton is an NRS 3-layer fabric that looks similar to Goretex.

I have been impressed by the durability of Goretex,
leading to the question, why is Teflon so durable in a garment,
but so non-durable in a frying pan?

posted to rec.boats.paddle

\
I have been impressed by the durability of Goretex,
leading to the question, why is Teflon so durable in a garment,
but so non-durable in a frying pan?

I think that has to do with the fact of the heat of the stove and the people
who use metal spatulas.

I am certain if you put that teflon in the dryer then scraped it along some
metal, it would break down too.

Micheal

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Farmer John.

I'm not a native English speaker.

Is this the same as a long John? If not what is it?

bjorri.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

bjorri wrote:

Farmer John.

I'm not a native English speaker.
Is this the same as a long John? If not what is it?

It is a neoprene wetsuit without arms,
because a long-sleeve wetsuit makes it hard to paddle.
Pictu
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2215

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:
bjorri wrote:
Farmer John.

Is this the same as a long John? If not what is it?

It is a neoprene wetsuit without arms,

Thanks, we call it a long john.

bjorri
posted to rec.boats.paddle

bjorri wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
bjorri wrote:
Farmer John.
Is this the same as a long John? If not what is it?

It is a neoprene wetsuit without arms,

Thanks, we call it a long john.

bjorri

Bjorri, from my experience in talking to native English speakers, some
of them call it a farmer john, and some of them also call it a long
john. There's quite a bunch of native English speakers all over this
globe, many of whom use completely different expressions from one
another for exactly the same objects. IIRC Bill's a representative of
the Californian variety of native English speakers. :-)

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Oct 18, 7:28 am, Wilko wrote:
Bjorri, from my experience in talking to native English speakers, some
of them call it a farmer john, and some of them also call it a long
john. There's quite a bunch of native English speakers all over this
globe, many of whom use completely different expressions from one
another for exactly the same objects.

In all NA English dialects I'm aware of, the term "long johns" (note
the "s") refers to full body underwear, usually with front buttons and
a trap seat. "Long john wetsuit" and "long johns" are not
interchangeable. The Farmer John expression arose from the resemblance
of a man in a wetsuit to a man in farmer's denim overalls.

Just to make things interesting, there are also Farmer Bills (roomier)
and Farmer Janes.

Steve

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Micheal Artindale wrote:

I have been impressed by the durability of Goretex,
leading to the question, why is Teflon so durable in a garment,
but so non-durable in a frying pan?

I think that has to do with the fact of the heat of the stove and the people
who use metal spatulas.

Perhaps you are right about heat, but I never use metal utensils
in my Teflon frying pans, yet the coating breaks down after several years.

I am certain if you put that teflon in the dryer then scraped it along some
metal, it would break down too.

I have worn out three paddling jackets in the time it took to wear out
one Goretex drysuit. Some of this is due to Kokatat customer service,
for sure, but urethane tends to peel off nylon in damp conditions,
or something.