posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill Bill Tuthill is offline

Default Fabrics - Tropos, Wavetex, TriTon, Goretex

Micheal Artindale wrote:

I have been impressed by the durability of Goretex,
leading to the question, why is Teflon so durable in a garment,
but so non-durable in a frying pan?

I think that has to do with the fact of the heat of the stove and the people
who use metal spatulas.

Perhaps you are right about heat, but I never use metal utensils
in my Teflon frying pans, yet the coating breaks down after several years.

I am certain if you put that teflon in the dryer then scraped it along some
metal, it would break down too.

I have worn out three paddling jackets in the time it took to wear out
one Goretex drysuit. Some of this is due to Kokatat customer service,
for sure, but urethane tends to peel off nylon in damp conditions,
or something.