posted to rec.boats.paddle
Bill Tuthill Bill Tuthill is offline

Default Fabrics - Tropos, Wavetex, TriTon, Goretex

I'm in the market for a new paddling top for use with Farmer John.
Drytop not needed because I have drysuit.

Campmor sells the Kokatat Super Breeze made of Tropos fabric for $85.
Several websites say Tropos is nylon with "custom" urethane coating
inside and DWR spray outside.

NRS sells the Endurance jacket made of Wavetex for $70, described here
as nylon coated with breathable urethane inside and DWR spray outside.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/material.asp

In general, ya think these fabrics have approximately equal lifespan?
Perhaps they are even the same fabric.

My Patagonia paddling top had a white hypalon-like coating inside
that didn't last very long; quite a disappointment. I think my old
cheapo Kokatat with urethane coating lasted longer.

The NRS jacket has a weird upper-arm pocket, whereas the Kokatat has
a traditional mesh pocket on the chest. Guess I prefer the Kokatat.
Other jacket ideas welcome.