posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Various Fabrics?

As a newbie who is trying to assemble some cool/cold weather paddling
clothes I'm rather confused by the various fabrics. I was told that
Polypro was a good paddling fabric but the items I have purchased still
seem to hold water -- not like cotton -- but still they hold water and
require hours to dry. I am suspecting that there is a conflict between
wanting a "wicking" fabric and wanting one that is fast drying. Does
everyone here dunk their new clothes in a bucket of water and hang them
up to see what they have bought? Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Michael Daly wrote:

Polypro was a good paddling fabric

Was is the right tense. Polypro is obsolete - polyester fabrics are far
superior in most cases.

I disagree. Polyester fabrics are more comfortable when dry,
but the main reason manufacturers stopped making polypro
is that it lasts so long that they can't sell replacement garments.
(Polypro is extremely durable unless you put it in a hot dryer.)

Helly-Hanson still makes polypro garments.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:

but the main reason manufacturers stopped making polypro
is that it lasts so long that they can't sell replacement garments.

Polypro lasts long (I still have some that is usable and was purchased in the
'70s) but it can't hold an antibacterial treatment. Hence the smell associated
with polypro. That is a major reason for the popularity of polyester fabrics
over polypro. You're right about comfort - polyester is not not as rough and
scratchy as polypro as a base layer.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

Michael Daly wrote:

but the main reason manufacturers stopped making polypro
is that it lasts so long that they can't sell replacement garments.

Polypro lasts long (I still have some that is usable and was purchased
in the '70s) but it can't hold an antibacterial treatment. Hence the smell
associated with polypro. That is a major reason for the popularity of
polyester fabrics over polypro.

The anti-smell chemicals added to polyester only last several launderings,
so I don't consider this a major advantage. As boaters, when our garment
smells bad, all we need to do is rinse out the underarms.

You're right about comfort - polyester is not not as rough and
scratchy as polypro as a base layer.

I experimented with nearly equal-weight Polypro, Capilene, and Polartec.
The results were approximately as follows:

Weight Weight
after after
dunking wringing
Polypro 4x 2x
Capilene 6x 4x
Polartec 6x 3x

Polypro is definitely the best thing to wear under a paddling jacket
in conjunction with a wetsuit. Inside a breathable drysuit or drytop,
my recommendation is Polartec PowerDry, an engineered polyester fabric.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Bill Tuthill wrote:
[....]
I experimented with nearly equal-weight Polypro, Capilene, and Polartec.
The results were approximately as follows:

Weight Weight
after after
dunking wringing
Polypro 4x 2x
Capilene 6x 4x
Polartec 6x 3x

Polypro is definitely the best thing to wear under a paddling jacket
in conjunction with a wetsuit. Inside a breathable drysuit or drytop,
my recommendation is Polartec PowerDry, an engineered polyester
fabric.

Those are an interesting set of measurements. Makes me wonder whether
non-absorbing fabrics have been tried and rejected?

posted to rec.boats.paddle

I hope you're not expecting polypro or capilene to keep you dry while
immersed. You need a drysuit for that and you wear the wicking fabrics
underneath.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Mothra wrote:
I hope you're not expecting polypro or capilene to keep you dry while
immersed. You need a drysuit for that and you wear the wicking fabrics
underneath.

Not quite, but I would like to learn what fabrics do not hold water and
are fast drying. Also I've heard some claims of fabrics that supposedly
insulate even when wet.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Silkweight Capilene from Patagonia is extremely fast drying. Capilene,
Polypro, Fleece, Wool, and Silk are all "warm when wet" in that they do
not rob your body of heat - but you will not be comforatable in any of
them without a layer of rubber over it - hence, "fuzzy rubber"
laminates are popular as is good old neoprene.

Drysuit Fabrics, Goretex vs Whatever Bill Tuthill General 10 December 30th 06 10:54 PM
Source for Sunbrella Steve Cruising 58 May 21st 04 09:50 PM
How thick to make the fairing? & vaccum bagging a hull Pete Boat Building 12 January 19th 04 10:12 PM