TC

Default Sea Hunt Triton 186 cc vs Mako 192 cc

I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it being
sold repeatedly.

Opinions?
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:47:23 GMT, "TC" wrote:

I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it being
sold repeatedly.

Opinions?

New or used?

Six of one, half dozen of the other - sort of.

Sea Hunt has been around for a while, but like most boat
manufacturers, has changed hands and owners about a zillion times. In
their current incarnation they are a good solid entry level boat.
They aren't finished as well or as neatly as other boats in their
class, but they are solid. I'm kind of picky about fit and Sea Hunt
has it's problems, but they aren't as obvious as they could be so
that's a plus.

As to the Mako, I wouldn't own a new one - I have my reasons. Used is
a different story and depends on the year and size.

You might want to look at Sea Boss, Proline (although in my opinoin,
they are over priced) and a boat that I was VERY impressed with, the
Polar.

The Polar boats I've tested and run hard are very nice handling and
relatively inexpensive in the kind of boat you are looking for. This
is a boat where a lot of care was taken in the design of the boat -
it's built for fishing - no other way to describe it.

While I'm not much on Trophy, I will say that I was fairly happy with
one on a test run I made this summer for a friend who owns a repair
shop. I specificaly took the boat out to break it after repair (it
didn't break by the way) and kind of poked around the boat after doing
some testing. If I had need for a smaller boat of this type, I
wouldn't necessarily dismiss a Trophy out of hand.

And, oddly enough, Hydra-Sports makes a boat in this class that is
very nice - everything fits properly, the ride is comfortable, it's
fishability is great (it's a Hydra-Sports after all).

Assuming that these are new or left overs, I would take my time and
carefully look through the used market. There are a ton of used boats
out there that are in excellant shape and well worth the money. Just
remember that everything is negotiable and you might wind up with more
boat than you might have otherwise with a little patience and
forebearance.

By the way, I get to ride on these boats because I am asked to go
along on test drives - friends, friends of friends, etc. I get a lot
of time riding and looking and driving, etc.

Hey, I'm retired - what can I tell you? :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717

Harry Krause

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

By the way, I get to ride on these boats because I am asked to go
along on test drives - friends, friends of friends, etc. I get a lot
of time riding and looking and driving, etc.

Hey, I'm retired - what can I tell you? :)

As we age, we're reduced to...ballast.

Seriously, I hate going out alone on my Parker, because it means
spending at least 15 minutes trying to line up the hitch ball on the SUV
with the damned trailer. I've seriously thinking of...a video camera...

--
"...vice president (Cheney), I'm surprised to hear him talk about
records. When he was one of 435 members of the United States House, he

- Senator John Edwards, 10/05/04
TC

JohnH wrote:

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:47:23 GMT, "TC" wrote:

I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it
being sold repeatedly.

Opinions?

Have you looked at Proline?

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD,
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
those who do binary and those who don't!

A little, but they score low with JD Powers.
William

Seriously, I hate going out alone on my Parker, because it means
spending at least 15 minutes trying to line up the hitch ball on the SUV
with the damned trailer. I've seriously thinking of...a video camera...

ever think about one of these?
http://www.seeyourhitch.com/

Dan Krueger

Where are you and what do you want to do with it? Inshore, offshore, lake,
river, etc? It all makes a big difference. Tom mention the Polars. I have
looked at the 23 and it's a great boat. The layout is outstanding. I also like
the Key West. A lot depends on where you are and your service options. I would
highly recommend a 115 or 150 4-stroke for a boat that size. The tougher the
conditions, the less power you can use. I have a 19.5' center console and can
rarely run my 115 4 stroke at WOT due to sea conditions.

Dan

TC wrote:
I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it being
sold repeatedly.

Opinions?

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 00:14:53 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Where are you and what do you want to do with it? Inshore, offshore, lake,
river, etc? It all makes a big difference. Tom mention the Polars. I have
looked at the 23 and it's a great boat. The layout is outstanding. I also like
the Key West. A lot depends on where you are and your service options. I would
highly recommend a 115 or 150 4-stroke for a boat that size. The tougher the
conditions, the less power you can use. I have a 19.5' center console and can
rarely run my 115 4 stroke at WOT due to sea conditions.

You know the one thing I didn't like about the Polar, Sailfish, etc.,
style boats?

That freakin' downsweep Euro stern.

However, I share your pain with the sea conditions. I have a 20 foot
Ranger Sportfisherman CC and it's a bitch in moderate sea conditions.
You'll need new kidneys by the end of a run.

The problem is lack of trim on the engine. Even if I bury the
throttle on launch, I can't get any bow lift - the strakes are too far
back on the hull to do any real lifting. If I change the trim and it
does't move. Same effect when running.

And the thing is, I really like the boat. ;)

All the best,

Tom
--------------

"What the hell's the deal with this newsgroup...
is there a computer terminal in the day room of
some looney bin somewhere?"

Bilgeman - circa 2004
TC

[...]

Thanks for the info Tom! Boat manufacturers changing ownership seems
to be a requirement of the business.
TC

TC wrote:
I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it
being sold repeatedly.

Opinions?

It's a family boat. We plan to use it primarily for fishing.
Secondary is park and cookout. Maybe some tubing. I live in central
FL so it will be used for off-shore, in-shore and lakes. Maybe 35%
off-shore and 45% in-shore. The boat I'm looking at (Sea Hunt) has a
115 four-stroke.
TC

TC wrote:

I am looking at both boats. The Sea Hunt price for a 2004 is around
21K. I think the Mako is around 19K. Sea Hunt has not been around
long and while Mako has, I've heard quality has dropped due to it
being sold repeatedly.

Opinions?

We purchased the Sea Hunt and have taken it out once so far. So far,
so good. Later, I'll post a review.