Default Boat Performance Update

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Just a side question regarding fuel burn.

The old Whaler I recently purchased has a 25 hp Johnson on it. I *think*
(but am not sure) it's a 1993 engine. It looks very, very similar to the
little Johnson you had on the boat you just sold (Princecraft?).

Anyway, I had forgotten how fuel hungry the old 2 strokes are. 90
percent of the time I am just putt-putting around the harbor with an
occasional and brief WOT run just to clear the carbs. I have a six
gallon fuel tank and I've already used more fuel in this boat than I have
all summer on the GB. Any idea what the fuel burn rate is with this
engine? It *has* to be quite high, even at trolling speeds.

Eisboch

My 1986 15 hp Mariner used maybe 4 gallons on a long fishing day. Lots of
WOT and lots of trolling.

HK HK is offline

Calif Bill wrote:

You f'n pervert. You are the one most likely to be in the 2 holer with a
plastic raincoat on while spying on both men and women.

Ahh...been swapping spit with Zell Miller again, eh?

Since you now
actually appear to own a boat and have actually used it, seems as if you
have to describe all. My Yamaha T-8 came with a white prop. When I got the
prop straightened they painted it black. does not seem to be a noticable
difference in performance. The black prop worked well on Tuesday while
trolling for lake trout at Lake Tahoe. Caught a small 12" one and a nice
24" one. Both released to be caught another day. Maybe if I paint the
stainless impellers in my jetdrive, I can get another 20-30 knots of
performance?

The paint is not there for performance, booze-for-brains, it is there on
the Yamaha selections to differentiate between one line and style of
props and several others. There are shiny stainless props, painted
stainless props, painted alum props, et cetera, and they are used in
different lines of props designed for different purposes.

Now, you may return to your third six pack of the day.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:42:16 -0400, HK wrote:

I could run my boat for four hours, including some time at WOT and
cruising speed, and also honestly report a fuel burn of X gallons for
the adventure. But unless the information is presented in a standardized
format, it is only anecdotal.

Well, let's do it.

I'm going down to SC in the middle of October - let's set something up
for when I return. Split the cost of the boat trip.

Test the information and compare results.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:42:16 -0400, HK wrote:

I could run my boat for four hours, including some time at WOT and
cruising speed, and also honestly report a fuel burn of X gallons for
the adventure. But unless the information is presented in a standardized
format, it is only anecdotal.

Well, let's do it.

I'm going down to SC in the middle of October - let's set something up
for when I return. Split the cost of the boat trip.

Test the information and compare results.

Works for me. But it will still be anecdotal.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:18:21 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:42:16 -0400, HK wrote:

I could run my boat for four hours, including some time at WOT and
cruising speed, and also honestly report a fuel burn of X gallons for
the adventure. But unless the information is presented in a standardized
format, it is only anecdotal.

Well, let's do it.

I'm going down to SC in the middle of October - let's set something up
for when I return. Split the cost of the boat trip.

Test the information and compare results.

Works for me. But it will still be anecdotal.

But scientifically anecdotal.

It'll be fun.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:28:20 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

But scientifically anecdotal.

It'll be fun.

Reminds me of my horse handicapping days, and though I usually lost, I
was a damn good handicapper, so at least I lost "scientifically."

--Vic
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:18:21 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:42:16 -0400, HK wrote:

I could run my boat for four hours, including some time at WOT and
cruising speed, and also honestly report a fuel burn of X gallons for
the adventure. But unless the information is presented in a standardized
format, it is only anecdotal.
Well, let's do it.

I'm going down to SC in the middle of October - let's set something up
for when I return. Split the cost of the boat trip.

Test the information and compare results.

Works for me. But it will still be anecdotal.

But scientifically anecdotal.

It'll be fun.

Fun indeed. Keep me posted on your schedule.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:30:48 -0400, HK wrote:

I'm not trying to compare SW's fuel burn to mine. My point is that on
two identical boats, operated identically at cruise speeds, one with an
etec and the other with a yamaha or suzuki four stroke, the differences
in fuel burn would not be that significant

Practical experience along with fully supportable personal evidence
proves otherwise.

Thems the figures. No need to embellish.

Maybe I'm just luckier than others. :)

You never give complete figures. How many miles? What
average speed?

Calif Bill wrote:

My Yamaha T-8 came with a white prop. When I got the
prop straightened they painted it black. does not seem to be a noticable
difference in performance. The black prop worked well on Tuesday while
trolling for lake trout at Lake Tahoe.

I've seen some white T-8 props with one blade painted pink
and another chartreuse... to attract salmon while trolling
I suppose.

"HK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

[...]

Don't base others alcohol intake on your life style.

Boat Sound Check Update JimH General 4 May 1st 06 12:42 AM
Performance coach and performance enhancing drugs... Allan Bennett UK Paddle 6 October 15th 05 08:25 PM
Jet Boat Performance Enhancement Chris S. General 1 September 20th 04 06:31 PM
"Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 December 15th 03 09:50 PM
Boat Search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 18 November 19th 03 02:19 PM