Skip Gundlach

Default Boat Search update

I've just gotten off the road where I was able to get aboard over 40 boats
(I'd have to review my notes to be sure of just how many, but the list of
candidates was over 70), none of which types we'd been able to see before.

I'm delighted to say that we now have more than one candidate for our
purchase. Up until now, we were despairing of finding a boat which
accommodated my frame (6-4) and Lydia's preferences ("proper boat" and some
layout distinctions below).

This portion of our search was begun in Annapolis and ended in Charleston,
SC, with additional driving starting and ending near Atlanta. It was made
more exciting by automotive challenges which had my car dying at
inexplicable times; suffice it to say I managed to deal with that and still
got to see all but two locations with one boat each, and that wasn't really
a matter of auto challenges so much as it was the embarrassment of riches
which caused the trip to be longer than originally planned. I'm happy to
say that it was longer due to some very apt suggestions from a couple of
brokers, at least two of which suggestions are now on our active list.

This search section is nearly 200 boats big, culled from over 1200 listings
from Annapolis to Corpus Christi. The experience on the first leg has
allowed us to winnow that list down by some notable number, but not a
significant portion. Of the ones which didn't work in the first round,
there were only a few duplicates throughout the rest of the geography; the
deletions were of the bigger boats which, in desperation, we'd included.
Fortunately, there are at least a couple, so far, under 40 feet, and we're
hopeful that in the additional legs (not yet scheduled, but sometime in the
next few weeks) from Savannah around to Texas, we'll find additional smaller
boats which will work for us. With only a very few exceptions, all of this
list is boats we've not been aboard as a type, so we're hopeful that this
first portion's successes continue and allow us to expand our potential pool
to even more under 40 feet.

Those of you who have been following our adventures know that we'd strongly
considered, and then eventually discarded, due to inadequate interior and
exterior storage, the Endeavour 42, and made an offer on a Gulfstar 44. The
GS44 is still interesting to us, but we'd far rather be under 40 feet if we
possibly can. We've also modified our parameters to be far more inclusive
of items previously not acceptable, the most significant of which is a
Pullman berth, with its slight taper to the feet, and a full, rather than
queen, size.

The two (under 40) we've got which work for us at this point are the Hans
Christian 33 and the Island Packet 38. A strong contender was the Fantasia
35, but in the end, it just didn't quite make it in the stern cabin.
However, those are very interesting boats, for sure!

Ironically, the boat we'd always cited as one which we thought to be very
close to our ideal in layout, but (we thought), too small in size, is the
HC33. Surprise - I don't touch anywhere except in the shower.

In addition, Morgan 452, Stamas 44, Young Sun 43, Gulfstar 43, Endeavour 43,
Mason 43, Catalina 42 also work, though we'd rather stay under 40 feet. It
appears, perhaps, that we'll be able to do that.

While this is exhausting and tedious, I'm looking forward to the next round
of boats, as there's several under 40 candidates among them. With the
successes of this trip, we've knocked out the bigger boats we'd added in
desperation. As it's turned out, at least for the ones we'd had on the list
in this leg, none of the bigger boats fit me any better, anyway, and some
were what I call 'severe bonk boats' - ones in which I can hit the *back* of
my head against the ceiling :{/)

Back to the HC33 (4 to choose from in this trip alone! - with another 3 or 4
in the rest of the legs of this search), we're leaning away from it due to
all the exterior wood it has (and the attendant upkeep). However, until
we've got more from which to choose, we'll keep them, and also want to look
at their bigger sister, the HC 38. In addition, while it's clearly bigger
than we want in total, the Stamas 44 is absolutely stunning (for our
purpose). The particular boat is equipped just as though we'd written the
specs, with the niggling 44' and the couple of (small) areas which seem to
be designed for carpeting in the interior (no wood on the floor, all
basically non-skid-ish texture, but not diamondstep, fiberglass) as the only
exceptions. The two-edged sword for this boat is that there aren't very
many of them; it probably means that it could be bought less expensively
than a comparable other boat, but it also will spell trouble later on when
we try to sell it.

So, while I try to catch up from being gone, I'm also planning out the next
phase, and adding in the boats which have been contributed by the (very
professional!) broker we worked with in Annapolis, Frank Gary, of Bristol
Yachts. The removals will be about balanced by the additions, I think, so
there's still well over a hundred left to see!

However, we're definitely moving closer. Lydia's house will go on the
market soon, and I'm still emptying mine, though have a few interested
potential buyers in hand, along with the same for most of my other boating
stock (two power boats, two rowing shells, three windsurfers and 2 dinghy
sailboats - and a partridge in a pear tree).

Woo hoo :{))

L8R

Skip and Lydia

Jim Woodward

Good post. Isn't looking fun? (Said both in truth and in irony.)
See http://www.mvfintry.com/boatsnotbought.htm
(and read between the lines) for a little on our search.

I wouldn't begin to make suggestions --you've done a lot of work, but one
thing leapt off the page -- that you're leaning away from a boat because of
exterior wood and the maintenance it would require.

There is a solution -- paint it white with a good two part urethane. Of
course, before you do that, you'll want to put on a couple of coats of a
compatible varnish so the paint doesn't get into the wood and can be removed
(more or less easily) when you go to sell the boat. The paint will last for
years with little maintenance.

In the days of wood boats, this was more common -- people got tired of
maintaining varnish but wanted to leave options open on resale. I've both
put on and removed paint from varnished wood without real problems. Bare
wood is, of course, a different matter.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...
[...]

Cindy Ballreich

Jim Woodward wrote:

I wouldn't begin to make suggestions --you've done a lot of work, but one
thing leapt off the page -- that you're leaning away from a boat because of
exterior wood and the maintenance it would require.

There is a solution -- paint it white with a good two part urethane. Of
course, before you do that, you'll want to put on a couple of coats of a
compatible varnish so the paint doesn't get into the wood and can be removed
(more or less easily) when you go to sell the boat. The paint will last for
years with little maintenance.

In the days of wood boats, this was more common -- people got tired of
maintaining varnish but wanted to leave options open on resale. I've both
put on and removed paint from varnished wood without real problems. Bare
wood is, of course, a different matter.

This is an excellent suggestion and one that my husband and I are
considering with our Baba 30. Of course, right now the britework
is freshly done and looking beautiful which makes painting it
seem like a crime. Well, as long as we keep the covers on at the
dock...

We were out yesterday and came upon a HC33. As is usually the
case when two boats of this type meet there was much eyeing and
comparing. It was clear that the HC was much larger than the
Baba, but we still feel that our boat fits us better.

We also saw a Bristol Channel Cutter. Too small for us, but very
pretty.

Cindy

padeen

Hey Skip, thanks for the rundown. I'm facing the same routine this coming
spring, though with some different parameters. But I thought if you'd be so
kind to post your database; not the info, just the headers, I could see how
you organized your data. 200 boats!
TIA
Padeen

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...
[...]

Skip Gundlach

Hi...

"padeen" wrote in message
Hey Skip, thanks for the rundown. I'm facing the same routine this coming
spring, though with some different parameters. But I thought if you'd be

so
kind to post your database; not the info, just the headers, I could see

how
you organized your data. 200 boats!

I can't really post it, because it's in a format the newsgroup wouldn't
accept, unless you'd like it in a tab-delimited file you could import to a
spreadsheet. Of course, that would look pretty much like gobbledygook until
it was imported :{))

However, what I did to organize is made several columns, and three rows
(plus a blank row separator) per boat. The columns were map (how to find it
on the map, wihch I put on the first line of each selection - and on the
third line, I put the boat number in the search, which came after I'd laid
it out in the geography order), contact (the way to reach the seller, which
was always an email except in very infrequent FSBOs), the market (major
geographical location such as MIA or ANN as in Miami and Annapolis - which
helped me in the layout of each trip), the YachtWorld listing number (so
that any broker I'd sent the appropriate portion of the spreadsheet could
easily find it), the boat type (Island Packet 38 - IP38, e.g.) the price in
decimal boatbux (95.9, e.g.) and D/L (loosely called sailing ratio, the
Displacement to Waterline number which we'd want to fall in the mid 2-300
range). All that went on the first line. If there were other important
things you'd want to know in what I'd call a gross description, you could
add them, of course. I organized each cell to take the minimum necessary
space in order to get as many qualifiers as possible. I also printed in
landscape, for the same reason.

The second line started in the second column (and really just used the
second cell, but the text ran on over to however long it took). The first
cell was left blank in order to leave the map and search (our number from 1
to, currently, 175 boats seen in the US, with the remainder, after knocking
off the ones we found unworkable, and the ones we've dumped as too big, now
that we've gotten at least some candidates below 40', to be filled in when I
set up the next trip) open. Back to the second line, it was a shorthand
(DMD = dinghy, motor and davits, for example) quickie list of the things we
found important about this boat, since I carried only the front page of the
YachtWorld listing with me and those usually didn't have any other than a
brief puff piece about the boat, but did have the listing number and the
broker phone number on them, so that I could call if I needed (as I surely
did in this case, you'll recall!).

The third line likewise was actually the second cell; it had the URL for the
main page of that boat. I've found that invaluable to quickly revisit a page
for a boat when I'm trying to recall what was up about it.

In doing my search, I organized using Yachtworld's advanced search, and
specified the area I wanted to see, and the size and cost limitations I
wanted. Then, working down from largest to smallest, I entered the info
from each one I found that I thought I'd want to see into my database.
Since the process took much longer than just a week, I also signed up for
the update service (they send you a list of new listings each week) so that
I didn't have to regenerate the search each time, and so that I didn't have
to try to remember if I'd actually seen a particular boat in the listings or
not (after the first few hundred, it gets difficult!). I also developed
another little trick, taking advantage of my history/memory in the browser.
Since my search ran to 12 pages of 100 each, in order to not have to find my
place each time I quit, I took the current URL of the advanced search page
from the browser URL line, copied it, and pasted it into a new window, and
opened it. That made the history see that as a manual entry, and I just
went to the most recent YW URL in the history when I started up again.
Then, once I'd actually finished, I went through my updates (from the YW
service) and inserted the new ones in the database.

Because I did so many of these, I got adept at doing them in text form, but
until you've done it a while, likely you'd find it easier to do in the
spreadsheet format...

So, in the end, I have a database of boats we're considering ranked in size
from largest to smallest. I've also identified markets, in order to sort
for best travel organization. Since I'm not particularly adept in
spreadsheet formatting, I don't know how to sort my entries (being 4 lines,
including a blank separator between entries) in Excel, so I did my sorting
in Word (the file was far too large for notepad, where I originally started
the construction!). I still kept the largest first, but went to each market
in turn (having first laid out the route I wanted to take) by doing a search
for the map key (ANN=1, NVA=2, etc.) and cut-and-pasting them so that they
would be easily recognizable in the end. Then I re-import *that* file into
a new database which is organized, then, by market, in the order I'm going
to see them. The final step is to go back into the map column and number
each of the entries in sequence (first boat seen = 1, last, in this most
recent trip = 175)

That step makes it easier for me to go back later and retrieve any hard copy
file (I keep them in a notebook as I go, keeping them in numerical order)
when I'm doing a review, or trying to remember why it was that I rejected a
boat.

That's a very long answer to what might have been a very short question.
I'm happy to send the raw or Excel - entered database if it's of any
interest, but unless you're one with many of the same parameters as we, the
individual boats wouldn't likely be interesting to you.

L8R

Skip (and Lydia)

Jim Woodward

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...

big snip

I don't know how to sort my entries (being 4 lines,
including a blank separator between entries) in Excel, so I did my sorting
in Word (the file was far too large for notepad, where I originally

started
the construction!). I still kept the largest first, but went to each

market

There are several ways to do this. The easiest is to number each dataset in
column A (so that you'd have four lines numbered 1, then four numbered 2,
etc.) then in column B, the individual lines numbered 1,2,3,4. Then put the
different sort keys on all four rows of each dataset in columns C,D,E... as
required. So, column C could have the length in all four rows, column D the
location, and so forth. This means you have a little redundant data, but
you can use the Excel sort or data functions easily. For example, to get a
list in location order, sort on D,A,B which first sorts location, then puts
all of boat number ten together, then sorts the four lines of each boat into
order.

Refinements would include using a decimal number (boat number sixteen would
have in its four rows in column A: 16.1,16.2,16.3 and 16.4, which would
allow you to have only one column for the number.
Then, if A was the number, B the length, and C the location, sorting C.B,A
would give you a listed sorted by location, then length.

Another way, is to have two worksheets (in the same workbook). On the first
(call it "Main"), have all the data for each boat on one line -- this may be
unreadable, but it's easy to sort. On the second (call it "LookHere"),
organize the lines in a readable fashion. However many lines per boat you
want. When you re-sort "Main", the "LookHere" references are to the same
cell as before the sort, so that "LookHere" shows the data in the new order.
(a cell in LookHere that has +Main!A1 in it, will always show the column A
data for the first row in Main) Although this is a little harder to set up,
it has the advantage that you can sort on any column.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..

NEW Boat Profit Margins Konnie General 19 December 19th 03 04:57 AM
1st boat help Diverguy General 21 November 12th 03 06:40 PM
Many boats are not being used. Bill Kiene General 14 October 25th 03 05:17 PM
TRADE speed/ski boat for SUV or ??? (pictures) SALE - TRADE General 0 October 14th 03 02:36 AM