JimH

Default Boat Sound Check Update

In between epoxy barrier coats today I tested my Ipod Video on the boat,
using my Ipod RoadTrip and setting the FM radio (analogue tuning) to as
close to 92.5 as I could.

Once I locked into the correct setting I could not believe the clarity and
quality of the sound.......certainly as good as any FM broadcast on the
boat's radio. This was certainly not audiophile quality but the quality was
as good as I need it for an open cockpit runabout.

Looks like a winner as I am able to not only use the Ipod on the boat but
also in our cars and home stereo. I also spent about as much for it as I
would have with only a stereo upgrade on the boat, yet now have the
flexibility of an Ipod. ;-)

Bill Kearney

Once I locked into the correct setting I could not believe the clarity and
quality of the sound.......certainly as good as any FM broadcast on the
boat's radio.

Which isn't much a testament to the FM tuner on that radio then. I've found
all of the FM transmitters to have horrible fidelity. That and most work
quite poorly, due to not having enough transmitting power to let the radio
pick them up. I tried 6 different ones in our cars before deciding the one
from Monster "sucked then least" to work in my jeep. I went with an
mp3car.com interface for the wife's convertible.

Looks like a winner as I am able to not only use the Ipod on the boat but
also in our cars and home stereo. I also spent about as much for it as I
would have with only a stereo upgrade on the boat, yet now have the
flexibility of an Ipod. ;-)

Beware that moisture will kill that iPod. They're nowhere near sealed
enough for a marine environment. That and if you buy the tunes off iTunes
when you fry the unit you'll have the displeasure of having to download them
all over again to a new one. Or, worst case, BUY them all over again.
Better to get an Otterbox or Aquabox to protect it from the elements.

But yeah, it's soooo much better than putting up with CDs or the radio,
ain't it?

-Bill Kearney

JimH

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
t...
Once I locked into the correct setting I could not believe the clarity
and
quality of the sound.......certainly as good as any FM broadcast on the
boat's radio.

Which isn't much a testament to the FM tuner on that radio then. I've
found
all of the FM transmitters to have horrible fidelity. That and most work
quite poorly, due to not having enough transmitting power to let the radio
pick them up. I tried 6 different ones in our cars before deciding the
one
from Monster "sucked then least" to work in my jeep. I went with an
mp3car.com interface for the wife's convertible.

The stereo is probably from 1998 and was not top of the line.........but it
does produce some nice sound.

An open cockpit on a boat is not the best environment to hear concert hall
quality sound. This hookup will work just fine for us.

Have you tried a RoadTrip? It has performed almost flawlessly for me.
http://tinyurl.com/fkahk

Looks like a winner as I am able to not only use the Ipod on the boat but
also in our cars and home stereo. I also spent about as much for it as I
would have with only a stereo upgrade on the boat, yet now have the
flexibility of an Ipod. ;-)

Beware that moisture will kill that iPod. They're nowhere near sealed
enough for a marine environment. That and if you buy the tunes off iTunes
when you fry the unit you'll have the displeasure of having to download
them
all over again to a new one. Or, worst case, BUY them all over again.
Better to get an Otterbox or Aquabox to protect it from the elements.

I do not plan on keeping the Ipod on the boat when we are not using it. The
area where I plug the RoadTrip/Ipod into the cig. lighter is pretty well
protected from water spray.

But yeah, it's soooo much better than putting up with CDs or the radio,
ain't it?

-Bill Kearney

Without a doubt.

Bill Kearney

The stereo is probably from 1998 and was not top of the line.........but
it
does produce some nice sound.

An open cockpit on a boat is not the best environment to hear concert hall
quality sound. This hookup will work just fine for us.

Have you tried a RoadTrip? It has performed almost flawlessly for me.

Tried it, didn't like it's sound. But this was in an automobile and you
tend to notice things like background hiss and muddy sound, certainly more
than one might on a boat.

I do not plan on keeping the Ipod on the boat when we are not using it.

The
area where I plug the RoadTrip/Ipod into the cig. lighter is pretty well
protected from water spray.

Yeah well, the water from your fingers will wick right into that clickwheel.
But hey, g'head fry it. The otterbox and other units are cheap, invest in
one and save the hassles of replacing all that music. TRUST ME, this alone
makes it worth the effort.

[...]

Mine is wrapped in a silicone skin with additional protection over the
screen and pad.

Thanks for the advice but I think I will be fine. ;-)