JimH

Default Support the Danish!

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:37:51 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:41:18 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

Go do a search at www.npr.org. That's usually the first radio station I
tune to in the car. Next would be our local right-wing Clear Channel
disaster, WHAM.

The original cartoons were published Sept.30 in Jyllands-Posten. I'm
not
sure, but I don't believe it's a "Christian" newspaper. The following
link has the paper's rationale for the cartoons.

http://www.jp.dk/udland/tema:fid=11328/

The cartoons:

http://blog.newspaperindex.com/2005/...posten-racism/

Interesting debate, freedom of speech vs. religious sensibilities. To
place it closer to home, to those in the freedom of speech camp, did you
also support Serrano's freedom to display his **** Christ?

http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg...mages/502.html

Hadn't seen it. But, there might be a difference. Muslims believe it's a
bad
thing to portray their god in any way at all. Christians don't have such
issues with the mere existence of images of JC. The *nature* of an image
of
JC is another issue entirely.

but equaly offensive wouldn't you say?

Yep, perhaps more so. Yet we don't see Catholics and Christians taking to
the streets with guns and sabers threatening to cut off the heads of the
"infidels".

JimH

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:40:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:34:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

om...
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 03:10:29 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Really, I don't. Heard it on at least 3 news sources within 48 hours
of
the
initial occurrence. But, it really doesn't matter.

well, yes it does because if it was a christian newspaper, then that
is a whole different story. and i have looked and looked and looked
and cant find a reference to a christian newspaper.

Tom, if you think I'm inventing this, let me know, and give me a good
reason
why I'd do so. Unfortunately, money's been tight, so a few months back,
had to fire the secretary who used to follow me around and take notes
any
time I wanted to track something which might be of interest to this
newsgroup. Otherwise, I'd have the precise date & time I heard this,
the
source, the reporter's name & shoe size, etc.

Here's an angle: Can you think of any reasons why news editors &
producers
might've dropped the "Christian" aspect of this story very quickly?

forget it - as you said - no biggie.

I think the non-Danish media are stepping very lightly around this, since
the initial incident. You can imagine the results if they did otherwise.

my take is that american media wont show the cartoons because they are
afraid that their buildings will be burned down, they will be murdered
or a combination of the two.

Sounds like a good reason.

Doug, you have just been terrorized.

Doug Kanter

"DSK" wrote in message
thunder wrote:
The original cartoons were published Sept.30 in Jyllands-Posten. I'm
not
sure, but I don't believe it's a "Christian" newspaper. The following
link has the paper's rationale for the cartoons.

http://www.jp.dk/udland/tema:fid=11328/

The cartoons:

http://blog.newspaperindex.com/2005/...posten-racism/

Interesting debate, freedom of speech vs. religious sensibilities. To
place it closer to home, to those in the freedom of speech camp, did you
also support Serrano's freedom to display his **** Christ?
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg...mages/502.html

I don't understand why it's a "freedom of speech" issue. It's an issue of
Muslim hate-mongers convincing a lot of ignorant peasants that the rules
of Islam should somehow apply to Danes also.

Do Catholics riot & burn every time somebody tells a joke about the Pope?

DSK

Don't know. But that fictional story about violence and religion in Northern
Ireland was really interesting. You know the one: Catholics and Protestants
killing each other for a lot of years. Luckily, it never really happened.
Christians arent' violent.

Doug Kanter

wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

In a different cultural or legal environment, they might. After all, people
in this country did (and sometimes still do) burn crosses on lawns, as an
editorial comment on someone's color or politics.

Doug Kanter

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:52:52 -0500, DSK wrote:

Do Catholics riot & burn every time somebody tells a joke
about the Pope?

speaking of which....

um.....

never mind. :)

Great Far Side cartoon: Movie theatre, pope sitting up front, cardinal
further back yelling "Lose the hat!" or something like that. :-)

Doug Kanter

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:40:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

m...
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:34:47 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

news:fsvju1pnsgd20nk6ukml1i3hst5j05cap4@4ax. com...
wrote:

Really, I don't. Heard it on at least 3 news sources within 48 hours
of
the
initial occurrence. But, it really doesn't matter.

well, yes it does because if it was a christian newspaper, then that
is a whole different story. and i have looked and looked and looked
and cant find a reference to a christian newspaper.

Tom, if you think I'm inventing this, let me know, and give me a good
reason
why I'd do so. Unfortunately, money's been tight, so a few months
back, I
[...]

The cat just arrived to administer the lunchtime foot & ankle attack.

JimH

wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

We are talking religion Doug, not race or politics.

Doug Kanter

wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

In this context, I don't think it makes much difference. The point is that
given the liberty to do so (like a small town sherriff who looks the other
way), people will get away with whatever they can.

JimH

wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry Doug but you are grasping at straws and drawing this discussion off
the original topic.

Doug Kanter

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:37:51 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not really. Muslims are currently flipping out because of what they perceive
to be a religious slur. Religion, race and politics (and soccer, if you're
from South America) are perhaps the most likely subjects that can cause
violence. It's really all the same, in a sense.