posted to rec.boats.building
Courtney Thomas

Default retro fitting interior [temporary] support in a fiberglass cruisingsailboat

Is anyone familiar with a boat of the above type that has been
retrofitted with posts/beams, or something comparable, to provide
additional intermittent support for enhanced offshore cruising safety ?

That is, the boat was fit with some kind of supports and/or connecting
members to permit temporary installation for offshore work.

It seems to me that this might also include provisions for also
temporarily installing bulkheads for compartment isolation and flotation
installation.

All this might be desirable for the seldom made cruise but cumbersome
and undesirable for the boat's normal usage.

Thank you,
Courtney
posted to rec.boats.building
Jonathan W.

Courtney Thomas wrote:

Is anyone familiar with a boat of the above type that has been
retrofitted with posts/beams, or something comparable, to provide
additional intermittent support for enhanced offshore cruising safety ?

That is, the boat was fit with some kind of supports and/or connecting
members to permit temporary installation for offshore work.

It seems to me that this might also include provisions for also
temporarily installing bulkheads for compartment isolation and flotation
installation.

All this might be desirable for the seldom made cruise but cumbersome
and undesirable for the boat's normal usage.

Thank you,
Courtney

I don't recall reading of anyone putting in "temporary" bracing. Most of
what I've read indicate people simply strengthen what they have learned
is a weak point for their particular old boat. For instance, Alberg
25's sometimes need some work on their supports for the deck stepped
mast, the fix is a permanent installation. Stowing a boat for sea is
enough of a headache without having to built stuff to get in your way.

James Baldwin a sailor. writer who has lived aboard a 28' Triton for
many years has a number of stories about rebuilding his sloop "Atom" to
strengthen her and raise her survivability quotient. These are
unobtrusive improvements that remain in pace, which is more the norm
than your thinking. See: http://www.atomvoyages.com/

David Martin did a substantial rebuild on his Cal 25 "Direction" prior
to heading out on a circumnavigation in which he met his now wife and
had three children (all on the Cal 25 at one point Link to his many
articles at: http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin_arc.html
\
Have fun,

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr