Skipper

Default Things to do before Spring launch

Dan Krueger wrote:

Why not the 1985 22 foot Bayliner?

It would have trouble with the Port Everglades inlet challenge on a day
with winds over 10 mph.

What? You mean that inlet has conditions worse than the Tostitos and
30-footers one regularly encounters in the Cortez? Damn!

--
Skipper
JohnH

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:34:34 -0600, Skipper wrote:

JIMinFL wrote:

The Gradys are wonderful boats. But the 228 is no match for my Parker.

Now you're just making me feel bad. Not sure what you mean by 'no match'.
Size wise, that's for sure. But, for a 22'er, it's got a *lot* of deck
room. I could force myself to get by!

Should one get the itch for *real* adventure, which would be the better
boat for a Cortez challenge?

Please define adventure.
Please define Cortez challenge.

It's a legit question. I believe a *trailerable* boat should be truly
trailerable...and seaworthy. The boat should open up non local waters.
The Cortez challenge presents such a test, a true shake 'n bake. This
test involves trailering the boat to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. The
boat is then launched and makes a 100-mile crossing of the Sea of Cortez
to Santa Rosalia, a former mining village with a French influence, in
Baja California Sur. The boat is then tested as a fishing platform while
going after the great variety of gamefish abundant in the Gulf.

Now I believe the Parker would fail miserably in this test. The Grady
would win the day.

Why would a 25' Parker fail and a 22' Grady win?
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
JohnH

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:41:44 -0600, Skipper wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Well, like I said, I don't have one. It appears that one could do a lot of
sightseeing and fishing with regular tanks. The towns don't appear to be
all that far apart.

http://www.cruisecortez.com/sancarloscruisingarea.htm

Those are not towns, John. The area is still very desolate. And besides,
the course would be West across the Gulf, not North along the coast. But
you ARE correct, regular tanks will do.

Here's a map of the whole area. Tell me where you're talking about.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Skipper

JohnH wrote:

http://www.cruisecortez.com/sancarloscruisingarea.htm

Those are not towns, John. The area is still very desolate. And besides,
the course would be West across the Gulf, not North along the coast. But
you ARE correct, regular tanks will do.

Here's a map of the whole area. Tell me where you're talking about.

http://tinyurl.com/9n8a9

Guaymas to Santa Rosalia.

--
Skipper
Skipper

JohnH wrote:

It's a legit question. I believe a *trailerable* boat should be truly
trailerable...and seaworthy. The boat should open up non local waters.
The Cortez challenge presents such a test, a true shake 'n bake. This
test involves trailering the boat to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. The
boat is then launched and makes a 100-mile crossing of the Sea of Cortez
to Santa Rosalia, a former mining village with a French influence, in
Baja California Sur. The boat is then tested as a fishing platform while
going after the great variety of gamefish abundant in the Gulf.

Now I believe the Parker would fail miserably in this test. The Grady
would win the day.

Why would a 25' Parker fail and a 22' Grady win?

The only thing exceptional in this challenge is the trailerablility of
the respective boats. Believe me, that Parker would be a real PITA to
trailer...the Grady would not. And then when you get there, the Grady
would do everything as well as the Parker. You've got to look at the
total picture, IMO.

--
Skipper

JohnH

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:07:31 -0600, Skipper wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

If trailoring is the main part of the challenge, I'd get one of these:

http://www.kawasaki.com/product_deta...g=wate rcraft

and tow an inflatable with fuel.
--
John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Dan Krueger

Skipper wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:

Why not the 1985 22 foot Bayliner?

It would have trouble with the Port Everglades inlet challenge on a day
with winds over 10 mph.

What? You mean that inlet has conditions worse than the Tostitos and
30-footers one regularly encounters in the Cortez? Damn!

--
Skipper

Tell me what a Tostito is (besides a corn chip) and I can probably
answer you.

Dan
Skipper

JohnH wrote:

If trailoring is the main part of the challenge, I'd get one of these:

http://www.kawasaki.com/product_deta...g=wate rcraft

and tow an inflatable with fuel.

Well, I did make the singlehanded crossing in a Hobie many years
ago...saves on fuel.

--
Skipper
Skipper

Dan Krueger wrote:

What? You mean that inlet has conditions worse than the Tostitos and
30-footers one regularly encounters in the Cortez? Damn!

Tell me what a Tostito is (besides a corn chip) and I can probably
answer you.

A figment of Krause's imagination and posting style.

--
Skipper
Wayne.B

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:01:40 -0600, Skipper wrote:

Guaymas to Santa Rosalia.

So when is your next trip?

We eagerly await the report.

FS: WaveSport Godzilla - Don't Wait 'till Spring! Dave General 3 December 10th 05 04:58 AM
Things I Don't Like.... Capt. Rob ASA 6 December 6th 05 01:05 AM
40 things Sir Rodney Smithers General 6 November 21st 05 05:55 PM
Submerge the Trailer When We Launch a Boat? [email protected] General 41 November 14th 05 01:51 AM
Neal--how are things in Florida? Bart Senior ASA 3 November 11th 05 08:48 AM