Calif Bill

Default Things to do before Spring launch

"Skipper" wrote in message
Reggie Smithers wrote:

Skipper,
I don't think Wayne's comment was a flame, it was sarcasm designed to
prove a point. While towability might be an important factor for a few
people, it is not, nor should it be the most important consideration for
most.

I never proffered that towability is the *most* important factor...but
it is an important factor in a truly trailerable boat. Weight, width and
towing profile all enter into that equation. Most boats with boxy cabins
have horrible towing profiles, as is the case with that Parker.

Most people who want to take a boating vacation a long distance from
home, will charter a boat. This is the reason there are so many charter
companies in the Florida and the Carri bean. There are many charter
companies in San Diego and around the Sea of Cortes that allow you do
cruise without the hidden expense of wear to your tow vehicle when you
trailer a boat 1500 miles. They are also stocked with provisions and
outfitted for the area you will be boating.

We were based out of San Carlos on a July visit
to the Cortez. The old Miramar hotel had a large thatch covered palapa
on Bacochibampo beach just out of Guaymas that featured good drinks and
mariachi music 'til the wee hours of the morning. We dinghied over to
Bacochibampo in the late afternoon for dinner, drinks, and a few hours
of good conversation after a busy day of diving.

Time seemed to slip by. It was about 10 PM when, drawn by the sound of
the surf gently lapping the shore, I stepped off the palapa's large
concrete floor to walk the sand beach on this moonless night. As I
approached the shore with the sound of mariachi music playing in the
distance, the scene seemed magical. The bioluminescence of the small
waves breaking on shore was surrealistic and illuminated the area with a
faint green glow. I must have walked two miles of the beach that
evening. I'd seen this glow before and since, but never with so much
intensity.

Returning the 10 miles to San Carlos that evening was also an
unforgettable experience. Senses were raised as we skimmed across the
clear warm waters of the bay. Forward, the surface was not visible, you
saw stars, dim lights from the distant shore, and a three dimensional
sea with bioluminescent waters highlighting schools of fish and a few
monsters at depths up to fifty feet. Astern, the wake offered a bright
glow and reassurance that you were not indeed floating *in* the sea.

--
Skipper

If the criteria was towing profile, you would see very few fifth wheels on
the road!

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

. com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

We were paying close to that when we had our 32 footer, but it was
drive up dock and quite nice.

What's a "drive up dock"?

Eisboch

Drive up right to your dock.........no need to walk down finger piers
your boat hundreds of yards from where you parked.

http://www.huronlagoons.com/c-slip%208-10-03%20002.jpg

Picture's worth a whole bunch of words! I'm going to assume that the
slip and the parking space are a matched set. Looks nice. And
convenient.

Yep.

That was our old marina. Our new one is not as nice (amenity wise) but
actually has more open grass/tree area to picnic in....more of a park
like
setting. When we drive up to our dock our boat will be sitting 15 from
the car, with a grassy area in front and a large park like setting
behind.

Land next to a lake is not a $1,000,000+ an acre in Ohio.

Uh, you are dead ass wrong, as usual.

Very little of that area is as high valued / over valued as California or
Florida land.

JimH

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..

. com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message

We were paying close to that when we had our 32 footer, but it was
drive up dock and quite nice.

What's a "drive up dock"?

Eisboch

Drive up right to your dock.........no need to walk down finger
piers to
[...]

Perhaps. But that was not the point. You said that water front property in
Ohio does not go for $1 mm+/acre in Ohio and you are wrong.

Bryan

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
news

"Bryan" wrote in message
et...

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
k.net...

"Don White" wrote in message
Harry Krause wrote:
Skipper wrote:

Second, the overall profile of the 2252 makes it easier to tow at
interstate speeds.

I don't tow at "interstate" speeds. I tow between 55 and 60 mph.
Easier on me, easier on the trucks, easier on the fuel tank.

That's right. When I towed my 'new to me' sailboat back 1200 km from
Quebec I stayed at 90km. This was no problem on divided 4 lane
highways, but in some areas of the Trans Canada it was old fashioned
two lane blacktop. Very uncomfortable to see an 18 wheeler grill
filling your rearview mirror as he desperately tries to pass on rough
busy road

I tow at freeway speeds. But the limit is 55 in California, and they
seem to ignore 65 on the freeway, as everybody is averaging 10 over
anyway. I drive to Los Angeles at about 80. Truck runs good there,
gets good milage, and sort of like SS Tom, I love speed.

Some clarification, Bill. Do you tow your boat with your truck at 80
mph or just drive your truck without the boat at 80 mph?

I tow 65-70 on the freeway. Radar detector on. Without boat I do about
80-82 on trips to LA area. Both daughters live there. At 82 I get
about 18.3 mpg at 85 I get about 15.9 mpg. Has got to be the ECU
programming. I tow with a 2004 2500 Crewcab diesel.

Geez Bill, I'm stuck at 14mpg unloaded with my 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew,
12.5mpg towing the boat at 60-70 mph, and 7 mpg towing my 25 foot trailer
at 55-65 mph. I'd love to improve my mpg a bit, especially with the
trailer attached!

How often does that radar detector light up on our highways?

The radar detector is really useful on 101 North of you. Every chippie
has a radar unit. My 1999 Expedition 4x4, probably same 5.4L saw 16.5 mpg
one time. Love the diesel, except for the fuel prices, and in LA is
harder to find diesel stations. And my boat / trailer is about 4400# and
towing to Tahoe or Oroville is a dream. If you camp, take your boat to
Oroville. Beautiful lake, and some of the nicest campgrounds around.
Really nice bathrooms with power outlets. Wife loves that part. Great
4th of July fireworks, just too hot then. So we've been going to Gold
Beach, OR for the 4th now.

I've got Oroville and Cherry on my list of 12. I'll take my own boat to 11
of the 12 and I'll rent for #12 (Lake Powell). I should be able to get half
a dozen crossed off my list by the end of summer. I'd like to do them all
by the end of summer, but ...

What do think of combining Don Pedro and Cherry for a long weekend?

FREDO

Remount the 9.9 motor, tow it to Eagle Creek Reservoir, buy a season launch
permit (85.00), launch it, and fish all summer. :-)

Fredo

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote in message
. ..
Once the weather breaks I have a ton of work to do before we launch.

1. Rip out cockpit carpeting and install new carpeting.
2. Install new helm seat and pedestal.
3. Install second battery and A/B switch.
4. Gelcoat repair on 3 dings.
5. Epoxy coat the bottom (the boat was always trailered before and has no
bottom paint)
6. Bottom paint the bottom
7. Install bimini.
8. Install new CD player/FM radio.

Items 3, 7 and 8 may wait till the boat is launched and dockside....it all
depends on how fast I get the other stuff done and if the weather
cooperates.

So how about you? What things do you have to do to your boat before
Spring launch.

#1 Wait for spring (((
#2 Gas up and go

FS: WaveSport Godzilla - Don't Wait 'till Spring! Dave General 3 December 10th 05 04:58 AM
Things I Don't Like.... Capt. Rob ASA 6 December 6th 05 01:05 AM
40 things Sir Rodney Smithers General 6 November 21st 05 05:55 PM
Submerge the Trailer When We Launch a Boat? [email protected] General 41 November 14th 05 01:51 AM
Neal--how are things in Florida? Bart Senior ASA 3 November 11th 05 08:48 AM