Butch Davis

Default replace mercruiser 888 with smaller engine

If all you want to do is about 5 kts just put a small outboard on a swing-up
bracket on the transom. You could get a used one and have it installed for
a lot less money than the cost of the project you propose. Matter of fact,
you could buy a new aluminum skiff with a new OB and still save money, IMO.

Butch
"James" wrote in message
nk.net...
Get a replacement engine that bolts in. What is it you have, a 302? I
think you can still get those. I suspect the 351 is also a bolt in. And
don't get a 4 cylinder. That is too small an engine for your boat.

"mongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you everyone. But my 888, is 30 years old. It is in urgent need
of replacement. It is NOT for fuel-saving economy I am conemplating
re-powering to a smaller engine. It is because the old merc runs on 7
cylinders (rusted exhaust manifault killed the 8th with salt water),
has very bad blow-by. We seldom do more than 5 knots in the rivers
lakes where we cruise, and NEVER go at wide open throttle.
Thanks all

Nanni Diesel Engine Problems [email protected] General 10 February 3rd 06 02:41 PM
Engine access [email protected] ASA 11 January 13th 06 12:48 AM
new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM