posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Engine access

While changing the oil on the Yanmar 2GM a few days ago I considered
how my boat seems to have both odd engine access and very good access
compared to their boats I have seen. Engine access in the 8.5M S2 is
via a large hatch in the quarter berth or via the cockpit locker. I
can easily reach all engine components and easily reach the stuffing
box. This is with a larger engine than is standard as I replaced the
original 1GM 2 yrs ago. With the 1GM, I could get into the engine
compartment and actually crawl all the way around the engine (being a
former caver, tight places do not give me claustrophobia). In fact, I
find myself wondering why S2 didnt make the quarter berth (already big
enough) larger because there is what seems to me to be a hanger sized
space behind the engine that is hardly used.
I wonder if the leaky stuffing boxes on most other boats is simply due
to poor access and if the reason why so many engines seem to be in poor
shape is for the same reason. I have to admit I did not plan this and
did not know of this accessibility before I bought the boat and I just
got lucky.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

wonder if the leaky stuffing boxes on most other boats is simply due
to poor access

Engine access can certainly be blamed for a lot of problems. On board
our 35s5 we're lucky. Beyond the typical access under the steps, the
aft cabin area allows rear access that's pretty good and the shaft is
right there. No reaching or straining and plenty of light.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
wonder if the leaky stuffing boxes on most other boats is

simply due
to poor access

Engine access can certainly be blamed for a lot of problems.

*ENGINE* access can be blamed for a leaking stuffing box''?????

Hey Clem, better tighten your fan belt today, don't want your
stuffing box to start leaking.

BWaHaHahahahahahahahahahahahhaahah

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

I have without a doubt one of the easiest accesses to my auxiliary. Cockpit
sole lifts in 2 sections and the bulkhead below the sink has a removable
access panel. I can access every part of my auxiliary and shaft/stuffing box
easily. An added benefit is that I can fasten a come-along to the boom and
lift the engine out...swing it around and drop it onto the dock or bed of a
pick-up truck.

CM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Moroon:

That does sound like good access. You shoulda seen the weird system of
2x4 we used to slide my new engine into place. This while the mast was
down and the boat was up on jack stands in my back yard and no way to
lift the engine up to it.

Looking at the special wrenches made for adjusting stuffing boxes, I
realize access must be a big problem cuz those wrenches are made for
tight clearance. I just use two monkey wrenches.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Yeah... I've seen engine removals on other vessels... man what a load of
work. The Nordica has almost every other vessel beat for easy access to all
sections of the auxiliary and hull / thru-fittings.

CM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Moroon:

That does sound like good access. You shoulda seen the weird system of
2x4 we used to slide my new engine into place. This while the mast was
down and the boat was up on jack stands in my back yard and no way to
lift the engine up to it.

Looking at the special wrenches made for adjusting stuffing boxes, I
realize access must be a big problem cuz those wrenches are made for
tight clearance. I just use two monkey wrenches.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Sheeze, I just get a crane to lift the engines out thru the hatches.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Yeah... I've seen engine removals on other vessels... man what a load
of
work. The Nordica has almost every other vessel beat for easy access to
all
sections of the auxiliary and hull / thru-fittings.

And it needs them BADLY!!! Here's proof from Mooron's website on the
Nordica Disaster 30!!!

http://www.nordicaboats.com/assets/i...t-smlo-opt.jpg

Text for pic from Nordica 30 webesite: "B- Low point and water
collection spot for any drainage in this area. Water was trapped here
and couldn't escape! C- Discoloration marked with arrows shows the
level of water that was being held in this compartment. Didn't find
any money, but there were a few miscellaneous screws and hose clamps."

Call the Coast Guard!!!! Mooron's boat is clearly a hazard.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

BoB Cranz:

My caving was done in FL, AL, TN, GA, WY, TX, Mexico, Belize,
Guatemala, and Venezuela. I am not sure where Butler Creek Cave is
located.

new or rebuilt engine? richard Cruising 8 December 7th 05 05:44 PM
WEAR-FREE COLD ENGINE STARTS -prelubrication oil system Mic Cruising 0 November 11th 05 04:58 AM
Winterizing Checklist Skipper General 27 November 10th 05 02:58 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM