Default replace mercruiser 888 with smaller engine

bowgus wrote:
Well ... first off, will you not be paying about $10K for that new
engine/outdrive? That's a lotta gas money ... or ... how much do you
expect to save on fuel? For me, I run just on plane at about 2100 rpm
which according to the power curves is about 90 hp.

That's really nice on paper, but you arn't figuring the torque factor.

I think what your result would be like putting a Toyota 4 cyl. in a
Chevy Suburban.

that 888 will do more at 1/2 throttle than the 3.0 will at
full.Especially on a boat that size. to get the max performance out of
the 3.0 you'll have to turn at about 4000 RPM, and if you try to over
prop the boat to get the rpm down, you'll do nothing but lag the engine
go slower and suck more fuel.

I have a 3.0 *(140 h.) in an 18 ft. fiberglass ChrisCraft, and my
brother has a 20 ft Century with a a 4.9 (292 cube 6 185 hp.) he and I
can run the same speed, I'm pulling 500 RPM minimum. more than he and
his boat uses less fuel

If it was my boat, (and I know it's not) I'd leave it alone.