James

Default replace mercruiser 888 with smaller engine

Get a replacement engine that bolts in. What is it you have, a 302? I
think you can still get those. I suspect the 351 is also a bolt in. And
don't get a 4 cylinder. That is too small an engine for your boat.

"mongo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you everyone. But my 888, is 30 years old. It is in urgent need
of replacement. It is NOT for fuel-saving economy I am conemplating
re-powering to a smaller engine. It is because the old merc runs on 7
cylinders (rusted exhaust manifault killed the 8th with salt water),
has very bad blow-by. We seldom do more than 5 knots in the rivers
lakes where we cruise, and NEVER go at wide open throttle.
Thanks all